• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to start when warm...

bmcallister

Here's the situation:

New plugs, distributor cap, wires, clean fuel tank, new fuel filter and fuel lines.

Car runs very well. Starts pretty easily when cold. Starts easy when hot (within 10 or 20 minutes of turning it off after driving).

BUT, when the car has been off for a little while, not long enough for the engine to cool, it's getting pretty hard to start. It will just crank over for about 5+ seconds until it eventually starts. Once started it runs fine.

Help.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

Double check your ignition timing and also your spark plug gap.

I've read tii's are very sensitive to spark plug type and valve clearances.

More tii stuff (hope you have already downloaded the tii FI manual from the registry):

Thermo-time switch in coolant branch and relay box on firewall

Cold start solenoid valve on throttle body.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

For a tii its critical for "warm starts" to let the fuel pump run for 15-30 seconds. Yes this will make a very big difference in warm starts.

Electronic ignitions also help....

I did not mention it, but I do have a Crane electronic ignition. I have not been letting the pump run that long before starting though.

I've had the manual for a few weeks.

Where do I go to get the BMW tool kit for the KF? Or, what should I use in place of the 5mm hook, 4 mm throttle adjustment pin, and air regulating cone retainer plate?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are the linkages adjustable? Is it to compensate for "slop" that appears in components through wear over time? I've heard there are all-metal linkage replacements. Does anybody know about these?

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

......and idle mixture is very important,

carburetor OR fuel injection

and a new gas filter once and a while doesn't

hurt either

02tiifuelcontrollinkagesetup.jpg

2002tiiinjectionpartspart2.jpg

2002tiiSPECIALTOOLS.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Where do you get the tools?

Probably best to fabricate them.

tiiadjustmenttools.jpg

Hook can be fabricated from a welding rod.

PIN - From a drill bit that precisely fits the hole in the tuna can.

Lifter tool for the warm up regulator - You can make it from a rigid putty knife.

Measurement tool - I made from a piece of scrap metal.

The linkages are incredibly important for the air fuel mixture. If you study the linkages - you will notice that the intermediate linkages, the ones that are vertical, control the ratio of air and fuel. That set of likages have one or two M6 (10mm bolt heads) bolts that connect the two pieces of the linkages. The lower section of the linkages controls the pull on the Kugelfischer thus controlling the amount of fuel. The top part of the linkage controls the shaft of the throttle body, thus controlling the amount of air.

So, how you mate these two pieces of this linkage controls how much fuel and air the motor receives.

Just to be clear, the adjustment inside the tuna can ONLY control the mixture at idle.

I just wonder if your fifth injector is donating a second or two of fuel that it should on a warm start.

My most successful method at starting the tii is let the electric fuel pump pressurize the system for a few seconds before hitting the start part of the ignition. You can hear a pitch change in the pump when ti pressurizes. Then I depress the throttle about 1/4 the way, and then start it. I can't tune one well enough to start with no throttle pressure when it is cold.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Lot's of variables, as noted by the pros, but Owner's Manual recommends holding the starter on for no more than 20 seconds at a time, so 5 seconds to start when warm may not be out of spec. Don't think it will ever start like anything with modern EFI, so don't expect too much, even when properly sorted. Good luck!

Be sure to download a copy of the tii tuning guide from the 2002 tii registry.

http://www.thetiiregister.com/phpmyfaq/index.php?sid=1209647〈=en&action=artikel&cat=220444&id=14&artlang=en

Read ALL of this.

Do not touch linkages, adjustments or ANYTHING else before you FULLY understand it.

Its very easy to botch up the car.

If that linkage is sloppy and worn you will never adjust it period, no matter what you do.

All the linkage parts are still available, if the rods are straight, you can go through aftermarket sources for new ball ends (female part).....

Yes, tii's can start and run like any modern EFI car (cold, warm, or hot), you just have to be patient before you turn the key.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Cheap tools I made from a wire sorter rack. I'm on the "wait list" for a better set of tii tools.

Synchronize your KF pump to the throttle body and acc. pedal for best operation (C.D.'s posted graphic). Take your time and this is pretty easy to do.

post-8235-13667605386296_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"