• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOT THE ENGINE STARTED!!!! but I have a HUGE knocking

2002Monster

So I've got the front cover off and noticed that the oil pump sprocket was leaning to one side.....yup.....3 10mm nuts came off the spocket and the chain was just wapping around on the inside....

Oil pan is off and the spocket is out....chewed up....

Should I change the oil pump to the "new" kind, or just torque the shit out of these nuts and put thread lock on them?

So I've got the front cover off and noticed that the oil pump sprocket was leaning to one side.....yup.....3 10mm nuts came off the spocket and the chain was just wapping around on the inside....

Should I change the oil pump to the "new" kind, or just torque the shit out of these nuts and put thread lock on them?

Allright that would explain tho noise and lack of pressure :-) If you're lucky nothing is damaged.

Check the sprocket and especially the chain very carefully if you're planing to use them. I would guess that at least the chain is damaged so that it cannot be used. Check also cam chain and other parts near there for visible damage. If you end up re-using the sprocket and pump don't "torque the shit out of them". Clean the threads, use a drop of loctite and torque them to correct torque of 10 Nm.

Still check the cam timing because it sounded like you were not sure about it and then think through what other bolts might be left untightened. And one thing - the chain tensioner should be bleed by filling the bowl inside the front cover with oil and pushing the piston in and out so that bubbles come out.

Fingers crossed and try again. :-)

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

OH BOY were working now !!

remove the oil filter and tell us what you find ?

I hope the filter is full - what kind of filter is it?

anything done to the oil pump or the pressure relief valve that your not telling us ?

i wonder if the oil pump 'green' o-rings are in place?

- no o-rings and your loosing oil pressure down below ?

M10oilpumpparts02.jpg

Is number 8, 9, and 10 supposed to be able to come up throught the top?

That's what my new pump did (relief piston, spring and tube can be pushed out the top before it is installed). I thought something must be wrong compared to the old pump, but my car runs fine.

post-8235-13667605384755_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous

All three nuts backed out of the "spocket"? Wonder how that happened. If they were only finger tight, what about the other fasteners? While you have the pan off, you might consider rechecking the torque on everything. A chewed up sprocket should not be reused - except in an emergency. I would want to carefully examine the adjacent timing chain for damage too.

Good luck