• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel smell

bryer13

You decide:

1. BMW intentionally put it there. (most 2002s have some of that smell, some more than others)

2. A good way to keep the girl/woman out of the car. Nice long drives alone are good things unless you have the Carl's Jr girl

3. Fuel tank leaking, generally around the seam.

4. Fuel filler boot crack and letting fumes out.

5. Fuel line under or in the car leaking.

6. Something in the engine bay letting fumes or raw fuel out.

7. Vapor canister or return line not hooked up or leaking.

8. Gaskets around the fuel sender or fuel pick-up rotten and leaking fumes. (This is the most likely)

Gasket for bayonet style sender is 16 11 1 744 369

9. Fuel lines from tank to rigid lines cracked deteriorated and leaking fuel or fumes

10. You spilled fuel on your boots at the last fill up.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

Bill, save this list and post as necessary - I think it's pretty inclusive. As you know, I fought this battle and #7 (leaking return line siphoning gas from tank when full) was the culprit. Getting my car back from trunk rehab' next week. Regards.

Roger

'72 Malaga

From experience (28 yrs. in 2002s) I'd start w/ #8. It cured the fuel smell in both my ' 02, and my wife's, over the years.

Bob Napier

PS: I looked for the P/N for the gasket on RealOEM.com and could not locate it, but, if you call one of the ' 02 suppliers (like La Jolla Independent or Maximillian) they'll know what you need. It sits on top of the tank, under the fuel sender. Put some Vasoline on both sides is you end up replacing it.

Hi Bob thanks for your reply I am only a novice in this area i looked at top of the tank where you take out the boot floor and there seems to be nothing wrong at that point cant smell any fuel or am i looking in the wrong area? thanks bryer13.

and senders. One uses a bolt in unit and the other a bayonnet mount.

Both gaskets are available if you have the part number. We had a discussion on this about 3-4 months ago.

Gasket for bayonet style sender is 16 11 1 744 369

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Hi guys does anyone know why i get a smell of fuel in the booth of my 1974 2002tii??? thanks bryer13.

If you are sure it's fuel smell and not exhaust smell, then the list above is covers all the possibilities.

But if it's exhaust smell, check your trunk lid gasket. A leaky gasket will suck in exhaust fumes into the trunk and into the cabin. And it's dangerous.

Let us know what you find.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

10. You spilled fuel on your boots at the last fill up.[/quote

Bahaha

The annoying fuel smell in my car was the combination of #3 and #5.

I actually just got the tank back from being boiled, welded, and relined.

= no leak, and no bad smell.

'75 2002

Photobucket

Guest Anonymous

and then there's the possiblity that one day we'll all look back and laugh....Hollywood found that by projecting the smell of popcorn into the movie theater people would buy more popcorn. Maybe the gas companies found that by 'projecting' the smell of gas into the driver/passenger compartment they'd sell more(?) gas. You have to add that possibility to your list for completeness.

Bill really nailed it with the list - I have to admit to #10 (boots) 2x - once with my r100 bike and as a partial answer to my 02 gas smell!

I did find a pinhole leak at the gas tank gasket near filler, but also found my Heater Fan was running backwards (thanks PO) and sucking air from the boot into the cabin when running. That's how I discovered the pinhole leak - was too small normally to see, but with the fan on it really stood out.

What gave the fan reversal away was when I turned off the fan, the cabin got warm, and no smell. Also when I checked the wiring diagram it shows the later dash provides (-) switching which promted the PO to do wire games... still working the other weird electricals out.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!