• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pesky transmission leak

BillWilliams

I have an e-21 CR five speed transmission with a pesky leak. It is around the shifter block and reverse light switch. The reverse light switch on a CR is where it is on a four speed, sticking horizontally out of the rear of the transmission.

I took the switch out, put a new crush washer and a rim of sealant around the very front of the threads. Using MTL Redline Transmission Fluid.

It still seeps from somewhere in that area. The cap bolts on the shifter blocks are less than two years old.

Can a seep come from that bolt and block? If so what can I do to defeat the seep? It is torqued to real tight.

Thanks, I did a search and promise to post my victory or defeat.

CR1.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill, I,ve seen new reverse swtches leak from the area that the plastic isolator persses into the nut portion of the assembly.

Also, good old thread sealer on the shift tower block bolts may be needed.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Ditto on the switch itself leaking (not the NPT threads). If you can wiggle the (2) spade terminals, that is a clear indicator you are leaking from the plastic portion. Also, when you remove the switch, push the plunger in to see if the terminals move.

I put a new switch in using a copper washer - so far no leaks from that point.

post-8235-13667602665552_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

is coming from further back than the plastic isolator but I will verify next week.

I will pursue the thread sealer. I guess you are saying those bolts go into a passage where transmission fluid is?

In the next two weeks Otis and I may be doing a little work on his car and he has access to a lift. Good time to remove the shifter block bolts and put some thread locker on them.

Thanks!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill - not sure on the CR 5-speed box, but the Blue book mentions the output shaft seal needs to be recessed about 2-3 mm into the cover. If it is flush or sticking out, then the driveshaft coupling will rub against it, causing a leak over time. This is exactly what happened on my car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Bill - not sure on the CR 5-speed box, but the Blue book mentions the output shaft seal needs to be recessed about 2-3 mm into the cover. If it is flush or sticking out, then the driveshaft coupling will rub against it, causing a leak over time. This is exactly what happened on my car.

Damn, good info. I never heard/read of this.

I'm going to check it out(in the blue book).

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Hi,

hey bill i have seen this before and what

i found out from my friend who works at

the dealer is that the tailhousing is designed

to handle 4 or 5 seals over its life time

before the case needs to be opened. so

get another shift selector shaft seal and