• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just bought starts runs stalls?1972

dinanm3

it has a weber carb checked fuel mix backed off 2 1/2.set idle 1/2 cant really adjust if i take foot of gas it dies.I checked cap looks okay a little deposits black cleaned.checked pionts look good gap okay.checked plugs gaped a little small re gaped i do notice plug wires just snap on but move around is that normal?i checked fuel filter it blows threw both sides.i checked vacuum line from distributer to manifold looks okay.Iam not sure about timming but seems when runs reved doesnt ping.not sure if fuel pump is good?Its been a while i was a mechanic at 19 restored old cars but iam 36 now.my gues would be a vacuum problem or fuel pump .not sure what cuases it to die i know you need fuel spark and timing must have a automatic choke?

HELP thanks christian

I'd replace the fuel filter regardless, cheap to do. Then check the connection at the weber, there is a inline brass wire screen filter there, then check the filter that is under the fuel pump - if it disassembles, some don't others do. It is the screw right on top in the middle. If you are feeling really ambitious and have a replacement o-ring - take out the fuel sender/pick-up and check the very bottom of it - another screen/filter there. If replace the o-ring since if you do not it likely will leak gas and smell, smell, smell.

90% of the time electrical, 10% fuel - I don't know where I heard that, but in my experience it holds true. If it was running right before, as a minimum I would pull the plugs and inspect, then clean, then I would make sure I get a nice blue spark on each. I would inspect the distributor cap for cracks or wear, same with the points and install a new condenser. These things are easy to do and will have to be done regardless, who knows you may get lucky.

FAQ Member # 91

no idle on a weber means one of 3 things

1)if it has an idle cut unit, its shot or not hooked up

2)if it has been sitting for a while, the idle jet or a passage is plugged

3)there is a huge vacuum leak

Overseas Auto

Vancouver BC

1-800-665-5031

always on MSN z5551212@hotmail.com

www.overseas-auto.com

www.weberjets.com

www.piaalights.com

www.thejimhilton.com

90% of the time electrical, 10% fuel

I was about to say same thing. I don't touch the fuel system until I have exhausted electrical troubleshooting. Timing may be a little off...since you can't keep it running, mark where the dizzy is now, then rotate dizzy a little in each direction to see if makes a difference.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

What is you point gap? It should be .016 for the proper dwell. The 2.5 turns on the weber idle jet is only a baseline, you may need to adjust it in an out to acheive the highest, smooth idle. Once you have the best high smooth idle, you adjust the idle screw on the lowest position of the choke cam to around 800 RPM. Then you should set the timing using a timing light to find the steel ball on the flywheel in the transmission hole near the starter. The vacumn advance on the distributor should be disconnected and plugged and the engine should be idling at 1500 RPM as you turn the distributor housing to advance and retard the timing. If the steel ball is visible in the hole at 1500 RPM, tighten up the distributor, connect the vacumn line and you should be good to go.

Others may have some other suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

i just dont get it any one close to tustin has more experience than me want to come by help out?i feel like i checked everything i could think of it starts runs if hold peal down doesnt seam to miss or ping but take foot of pedal slows down chugs and dies.the guy i bought it from drove it here from huntington and he started it up it idled?i dont see to many vacuum lines one to distributer i checked it it had res one vacuum to brake booster thats it.i tried moving distributer timing.

Plug wires are normal (as you mentioned in first post). If you've got the electrical shit all checked out, I'd look close at BigJim's advice. The Weber is pretty simple. Plug all vacuum holes and do a baseline adjustment (look at RedlineWeber.com for your model...probably a 32/36). But if your ignition is okay and you can't get it to idle with choke off, you've gotta have a plugged idle jet. The engine running when you open the throttle butterflies is the big clue to your problem.....

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

i removed the mixture / jet screw it seemed dry no fuel on it not sure if it should have had some how would i clean the jet.I do notice on top by air to vent valve cover a little fuel around looks like a float gasket area.i cant tell if its run off from the top of carb / filter .i guess electrical all right it cranks and starts runs okay under acc.whats the idle solenoid were do i have one?some one come over who knows these cars i want to lear you can drive my 350 hp e36 m3 and a sandwich and drinks.

...the "Just bought a great 02 but nothing works on it ???????"

...."it's my first car with a carburetor and a distributor...???"

BUY & READ BOOKS FIRST

.....furget the sandwich & beers - no time for that!

to return to the no response to the idle mixture screw - you have plugged jets from sediment moving around in the float bowl - so if you don't know what or where a JET is. STOP untill you buy a WEBER Carburetor

Hot To book and do some reading.

Use a spray can of Carb & Choke Cleaner to blast clear all the

passageways - PROTECT YER EYES !!!

YOU HAVE THE IDLE MIXTURE SCREW PASSAGE,

main jet, air correction jet, and later replace the dried out ACCELERATOR

pump diaphram - basicly order a complete rebuild kit for the carb.

ALL the tiny rubber seal rings, gaskets willbe needed.

If you have the dreaded Idle Fuel Shut Off Solenoid

at the base of the carb (wire going it) just

unplug - connect the wire with the key on and listen for a "CLICK"

indicating that the valve is working or not. That can cause the no idle.

Usually a broken wire or no voltage issue there.

Have fun & GET AN OWNERS MANUAL, REPAIR MANUAL,

(both from ebay ) AND A HOW TO WEBER CARB BOOK WHICH YOU'LL FIND TODAY AT ANY HUGE BOOK STORE

in the Automotive section.

Really.

P.S.

this may not be your exact carburetor -

but IT'S THE SAME LAYOUT OF BITS

No BEER until you make it idle:

BMW02SOLEX3840singlethroatBMWcarb.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

thanks for info i said in beginning i have a weber?ill try the check the choke wire thanks how much volts should it get 6 volt 12 volt iam not even sure if these cars are 12volt let lol.I really think its the carb i tried everything else unles like you said electrical to choke i have to fix drivers door lock to opens from inside lever not pushing in with thumb iam thinking wd it clean than white lithium .when i bought i only got one key for ignition i wonder how i will get key for doors trunk iam thinking i have to take one lock off to lock smith to figure out key i cant get one thru bmw with vin?

I'm guessing with it being a Weber, most of the pollution equip has been disconnected and probably some of the holes/nipples on the manifold are not plugged, so when you give it gas it will run, but it won't idle, just a guess, you need to go back to basics, timing, fuel and spark. Do you have two 10mm wrench and timing light, electrical test light along with both slotted and phillips screw drivers, feeler guage set, and spark plug wrench? Those are minimum tools to tune the car. The Haynes manual is good book. E-mail your phone#, I'm in Irvine.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

so i replaced fuel filter even knowing i could blow thru the other one. i bought a car rebuild kit which is really just gaskets acc plunger and float i guess that was uselesss put it back together still does same thing if not worse lol i smell lots of gas but now seems to just not have power and stalls still doesnt stay running not evn ruff.its crazy i think the engines good seems strong when it runs for a bit just somethings failing besides me.the guy i got the kit said open choke a little it shouldnt be closed all the way so i did a quarter inch.