• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Is Too Much? Engine

Dutchie3719

Im looking at getting a 1974 2002, when I went to look at the car, I noticed that the engine seemed to rotate quite a bit when revved. How much rotation is normal, at what point should the engine mounts be checked?

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

On these cars? they do seem to move more than I'm used to seeing.

however, I do know that they are prone to breakage and short of that they can get loose and allow excessive engine movement.

Also check the tranny and differential mounts as they too get soft and after 35yrs are likely to break.

crap, while you're down there, check all the bushings on the suspension.

they often turn into greasy soft sponges and need replacing.

have fun! play safe!

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Im looking at getting a 1974 2002, when I went to look at the car, I noticed that the engine seemed to rotate quite a bit when revved. How much rotation is normal, at what point should the engine mounts be checked?

Rotate or rock? Pitch or yaw? I do not think you can directly compare the engine mounting of different cars since the mounts, their composition, the mounting points and the design of the engine all figure into this mix. You can check the mounts by stressing them and inspecting them. If a mount is bad, the engine movement will tell you hopefully before the telltale marks on the hood.

Polyurethane mounts will naturally restrict the engine movement while rubber is more elastic and will show its age with more flex and fairly obvious cracking. Other cracking may likely occur at the drivers side body attachment point (search the archives). Then there is the third leg of the triangle, the transmission mount - its location and inspection is self explanatory.

This covers the normal course of mounts, although I have seen at least one 02 where someone successfully adapted Japanese hydroelastic mounts. The difference was dramatic. I have also seen the stock rubber mounts modified by a surround of delrin polyurethane, but that may have just been overkill.

When in doubt, change them out.

Use that as a negotiation point.

Changing the mounts isn't easy, but it's not a big deal.

If the driver's side mount attachment's broken,

that's a pain to fix. It can be done with the engine in,

but you need to be a good welder and very flexible....

I ached for days after doing it to the blue car.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL