• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Shocks - Modification

motomille

I'm wanting and wondering if anyone out there has done a modification to put hood shocks on the 2002 hood instead of the bars that never work well with the stock set up? Back in the day Neuspeed did a mod for the early MKIII GTI adding a hood shock(s) for a hood that never had them. Perhaps I just answered my own question and try those out.

lids over the years (may go to hood struts on the 79 Datsun pick up, too) - the keys to making a custom installation work successfully are to get the geometry right and to not use too strong a strut - if the strut's too strong, odds are that sooner or later you'll wind up bending the lid from having to use too much force to close it.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I'm sure it can be done correctly if the geometry and strut length is "engineered".

I replaced the horrible front hood springs with gas struts on my VW and have seen a good article in Hot VW's for doing the Karmann Ghia rear decklid (they replace the center-mounted spring behind the fan shroud).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"