• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excess Crankcase pressure problems

vtwes

I have a 73 2002 with a weber carb and im running excess crankcase pressure causing oil leaks, from what i've been told i should run a line from the vacuum valve to the carb but im not positive that was good advice....also am running low oil pressure at idle which ive been told could be many things but hopefully the oil pump....are these two problems related? and if the line from the engine to the carb will work where can i find one?

I'm afraid a little more dionostic test results

are need to fix your problem from cyber garage:

more details about motor's history like valve jobs,

any past 'rebuilds'?, miles on motor?, MPG on highway?,

and.....

compression test results ?

cylinder leak test results?

real oil pressure readings at idle hot?

cold start?, and at 4,000 rpm?

how much oil consumption? , say per tank of gas?

or per 1,000 miles?

do you need to add coolent antifreeze ever ?

cooling system pressure test?

seeing 'frothy' stuff inside oil filler cap?

engine cooling temp gauge readings?

02emissiondia1976.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous
I have a 73 2002 with a weber carb and im running excess crankcase pressure causing oil leaks, from what i've been told i should run a line from the vacuum valve to the carb but im not positive that was good advice....also am running low oil pressure at idle which ive been told could be many things but hopefully the oil pump....are these two problems related? and if the line from the engine to the carb will work where can i find one?

Your post suggests you are misinformed. You fail to identify what constitutes pressure that is excess rather than normal and how you reached this conclusion.

There is no vacuum valve on a 73 2002 and you may be confusing this with a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) found on many other engines. The 02 engine does not have a "valve" it has ductwork that may mimic a valve and if you seal off that vent, pressure will build up and you may naturally develop leaks. Does your dipstick weep? Vent the crankcase and you may minimize leaks. Don't vent and you will maximize them!

You fail to explain what, in your view, constitutes low oil pressure. Low oil pressure can result from all sorts of things including: a bad/worn oil pump, the wrong oil or diluted oil, worn engine bearings or even low idle.

thanks for the help, how do i go about venting the crankcase?

its already vented at the valve cover. there is a tube that should run to the air cleaner or into a catch can (or onto the road if your PO was environmentally retarded).

you got this tube blocked off somehow?

thats what ive been trying to get out, didn't know what it was called, but that tube was taken out by the previous owner when the carb was upgraded and ive been looking for one and help on installing it. Do you know where to find one and where to connect it on the air cleaner?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,312251/highlight,valve+cover+picture/

Here's some pics of a valve cover. The vent is the little pipe/tube at the rear. Run a hose from this to the carb if you wish, or run it into a catch can of some sort - an old beer can works fine. Or run the hose down to the ground where it'll splatter the underside of your car (rust proofing) and make a mess. You don't even need a hose to anywhere - just let the greasy fumes slowly cover the entire engine bay if you want. point is, that's all there is to the vent system on an 02. I suppose the vent could be blocked with something, in which case, remove the valve cover and run something through it. Don't over torque the little nuts putting the cover back on.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

You can use any piece of flexible host that will fit (off a roll at the parts store by the foot) If it is a stock air cleaner there is a fitting on the underside to attach it, if it is aftermarket they you may need some fittings/fabrication. All it needs to do is vent to the inside of the air cleaner somehow.

If it is disconnected then you should not have any pressure in the crankcase, maybe just a mess under the hood where it currently vents into the atmosphere and some oil escapes.

74 Golf