• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheel nut tightening

golf73

what is the proper way to tighten the steering wheel nut, i am thinking along the lines of tightening a generator belt pulley on a VW air cooled engine - where there is a slot you can stick in a screwdriver to keep it still while you tighten the nut. i couldn't figure a way to do it with the steering wheel, however.

i used a torque wrench set to about 45, and i pulled the wheel in the opposite direction with my left arm while wrenching with the right until it clicked. i'm guessing this is still OK as the same force is still being applied to the nut, but wondering if there is a "proper" way to do this. i have a nardi wheel currently installed.

Guest Anonymous

There is nothing wrong with your tightening method but I personally do not believe the nut requires so much torque even though the recommended specs are close. I typically grab the wheel with my knees or jam a knee between one of the wheel spokes. Do you drive from the back seat and pull and kick the wheel? Or, do you attach a tow hook directly to the wheel?

The splines do much of the job of securing the wheel so I do not see where the recommended high torque value is a necessity. There is also a wave washer beneath the nut. Tightening it to your torque value may make it difficult to remove in the future without a tommy bar.

yeah i put the key in the ignition and turned it (battery disconnected of course) so that the steering wheel wouldn't lock due to the ignition cylinder. i was afraid i'd F- it up. getting the wheel off in the first place was TOUGH however as the P.O. must have had that nut between 50-60 lb-ft!!

so, in the future it sounds like 40 lb-ft is plenty, eh?

NEVER .....NEVER .... loosen or tighten a steering wheel

nut against the steering lock!

Always have the steering lock released, and hold free wheel

with left arm, and bracing with knees if needed,

while working wrench with right arm.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"