• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!971 blower fan replacement with A/C installed

rockyard

Hello,

Just got myself a 1971 2002 in pretty good shape however the blower motor was frozen. I have managed to loosen it but it will not run on it's own, in truth it is still pretty snug.

Can anyone point me to a "How To" to replace the blower motor with dealer installed A/C (Looks like the AC guts will be right in the way) Or better yet anyone had any luck unfreezing a blower motor while it is still installed.

Thanks, [/i]

do you have a Frigiking or Behr A/C unit? I've done both and will be glad to share some tricks. I did a column years ago on pulling the heater with a Frigiking unit, and have also done a Behr unit.

Since all A/Cs were dealer installed, the trick is to have enough slack in the A/C hoses between the compressor and the evaporator unit inside the car so that you can remove the outer housing and then slide the evaporator unit over partially into the passenger's footwell...that'll give you enough room to weasel the heater box out into the driver's footwell. Depending on how much slack you have, you might have to do it backwards (A/C into pax footwell, heater into driver's). You'll have to remove the clips that hold the hose along the right inner fender well and firewall to get the slack.

Drop me an e-mail and let me know which unit you have and I'll send you some instructions...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Can anyone point me to a "How To" to replace the blower motor with dealer installed A/C (Looks like the AC guts will be right in the way) Or better yet anyone had any luck unfreezing a blower motor while it is still installed.

I scored a used fan motor @ the u pull it for my fridgeking. The price was real cheap and they had three 2002's to choose from. and two had A/C systems so i had my pick.

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Under the FAQ section on this site, under body & interior, there is a write up on

heater box refurbishing, if you have to remove the motor, you have to pull the heater box, drill out the rivets, replace with small screws & nuts & washers, just to get to the motor. Might as well do it right & follow that faq as a guide.

If you can get a stuck motor to go again while it is still in the car, it would only be if your lucky, You need to get some WD-40 into the bearings of the motor, which are just brass bushings on both ends, you can kinda get to one on to top or outside, but the other is not so easy to get to with the heater box in the car.

2002 owner since 1980