• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History - Front running / turn signal lights

worzella

Can anyone tell me the history of these two types of units? I was debugging my lack of turn signals based on an excellent post on this site and removed both the left and right units.....which turned out to be different on my 7/75 '02.

The left used a dual filament 21/5w bulb with screw down wire posts and the right used separate 21w and 4w bulbs, each with a spring loaded wire post.

Just curious about which is older design... I tell you, the version with two distinct bulbs is much easier to remove the bulbs than the combo unit!

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

while the '74 & '76 had the single bulb. The Euro & Italian signals I have also use a single dual-filament bulb.

Many owners have drilled the rivets out and changed the housings, then riveted them back together.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

The flat "Euro" style front turn signals (as used on US cars from 66 to late 70) use two single filament bulbs--the small one for parking lights, the larger one for turn signals.

Flat turn signals that are used in Europe only have the turn signal bulb, as the parking light is contained in the Euro headlight. To use one of these on a US car it's necessary to either install a second bulb for parking lights, or install a two filament bulb housing.

The "bulge" style (USA) turn signals used from sometime in late '70-early 71 on have a single, two filament bulb.

That being said...by drilling out the attaching rivets it's easy to swap bulb housings and lens assys, so that might be what happened with your setup.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite