• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey 2002faq,

I'm still experiencing problems starting my car. Originally I thought it was my negative battery cable but i've replaced that with an OEM one and it still isn't starting. When I turn the ignition there is a click sound - the engine does not try to start up at all, just a click. The click sound is coming from the engine, closest to the dash (if that makes any sense). What is the common fix here? I'm thinking starter but before buying a new one i'd like a second opinion.

Included is a picture of my old battery cable just for kicks.

Thanks for any advice/comments.

bmw002.jpg

With the battery lead still connected to the starter, disconnect the ignition wires from the solenoid spade connections and run a ground wire from the second bolt stud that has a heavy copper cable to the starter. In other words hot wire the starter.

If it spins it's not your starter. Start looking at every wire and every connection on the ignition circuit from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

76 Sahara 2002

73 CS Polaris

84 Tucker Snocat!!!

How clean is the ground cable connection? Make sure you have a good connection between the ground cable and the chassis/engine. I'll bet it's your starter, but once had a vehicle that couldn't draw enough juice to crank the starter due to a very nasty ground on the block.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Sounds just like a bad solinoid to me, unless the battery has a bad cell and drops to 9V or something while you are cranking the ignition.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Guest Anonymous
How clean is the ground cable connection? Make sure you have a good connection between the ground cable and the chassis/engine. I'll bet it's your starter, but once had a vehicle that couldn't draw enough juice to crank the starter due to a very nasty ground on the block.

The ground was extremely frayed. The first thing I did was replace it so it's brand new.

Another thing that is pointing to my starter: when the car was running, when I turned the ignition it would take a couple revs to get the car started.

Guest Anonymous

I'm ordering a new starter, does it matter if its a Bosch or Autolite? Autolite is much cheaper and I can pick it up locally, bavauto is selling bosch...

The Bosch is the "factory" brand (German) and will probably outlast the auto-store version by several years. However if the price difference is like 50%, then you may justify simply buying another Autolite later when that one dies. The swap is a 1/2 hour job, pretty easy, so that's not a big deal to buy the cheapie and then have to change it in a few years. If its just a "driver" 02 and not a fully correct car, then the Autolite may be the best deal. Otherwise go Bosch IMHO.

Jeff
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Guest Anonymous
The Bosch is the "factory" brand (German) and will probably outlast the auto-store version by several years. However if the price difference is like 50%, then you may justify simply buying another Autolite later when that one dies. The swap is a 1/2 hour job, pretty easy, so that's not a big deal to buy the cheapie and then have to change it in a few years. If its just a "driver" 02 and not a fully correct car, then the Autolite may be the best deal. Otherwise go Bosch IMHO.

Great, just making sure the Autolite wasn't a piece of crud. I just found out it comes with a lifetime warranty so I really can't go wrong...

Are there any diagrams or write-ups for replacing the starter or is it pretty straight forward? I'm still learning as I go...i'm a car newbie

It's very straighforward, just a couple of bolts. Just be sure to note which wires go to which contact point on the starter before removing them. I put masking tape on them as labels. Disconnect the battery and remove the carb inkate filter assembly. The R&R is easy even for newbies.

Jeff

Guest Anonymous
It's very straighforward, just a couple of bolts. Just be sure to note which wires go to which contact point on the starter before removing them. I put masking tape on them as labels. Disconnect the battery and remove the carb inkate filter assembly. The R&R is easy even for newbies.

I couldn't see the starter with a naked eye, is it on top or on bottom of the engine? I'm assuming on top if I need to remove the filter carb intake?