• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Spark Plugs?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The manuals and archives are full of spark plug suggestions for my recently acquired all original 72Automatic. The car is used for daily modest driving.

The manual recommends a Bosch number that has been apparently superseded twice: W175T30 or W8DC or 7xxx. Some of you give the nod to NGK BP6Es or BP5Es or Even Denso W20EXU. For some reason no one seems to push Autolite or AC or Champion, yet I have used them in a Jaguar and countless other English and American Cars. I know the conventional wisdom is not to use the Platinum plugs, but what about the Iridium and Silver offerings?

Bottom line, with so many choices, what should I choose? Has someone taken a poll, what really is the best and why?

Thanks

I use NGK BP5ES (1 heat range hotter). I Put NGK's in evertyhing from dirt bikes,cars, chainsaws, lawnmowers etc. never had an issue.

Platinum and iridium plugs are used for their longevity, not for performance. In newer cars where access is limited, longer life is better. In an 02 changing plugs takes about 10 minutes, no real advantage.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Guest Anonymous

This post was not intended to provoke an argument. If W8DC's were readily available in your area is that the plug you would choose? (The local VW speed shop near me still has em, but they also have the replacement "Yttrium" laced plugs.

My local red-front auto store also has Champion, Autolite, Delco and the odd SplatFire, but no one seems to endorse them as they do the NGK's. I have used all brands (except for the Splits) in the 25 or so boats, cars and snowmobiles I have owned and can't say I have any particular brand preference - except for the lowest price.

In the 02 crowd, there seems to be a very strong product loyalty (NGK) and I am just trying to find out if it is rooted in something tangible or is this just brilliant marketing and blind follow the leader?

Thanks

Over the past 20, 15, 10 yrs., etc. people on this board have tried all of the above brands you mention and they seem to keep coming back to Bosch or NGK. If you can still get the Bosch W8DC (make sure they are not WR8DCs, which are a resistor type plug that you do not need in your ' 02) then I'd go with them. As of a year ago they were $1.50 ea. from BMP in our area. The other plugs will probably work OK for you if you want.

Bob Napier