• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much fuel in carb UPDATE/Weber questions

Byron

I posted last week about my carb filling with too much fuel. Had a couple of replies. I believe Beaner mentioned pulling the top off the carb and checking things out. And to answer your question, yes, the fuel is pooling on top of the butterfly flaps. So....here are my findings:

Pulled the carb, and pulled the top off. Weber 32/36.

Behind the float is a valve that the float is connected to. Brass, with a little hole, and a small bracket attached to the float. This brass housing (10mm) was very loose. I tightened it. Is this right? It would seem to be. I'm not sure if this is the needle valve or not. The float itself seems fine (no holes) and is moving freely. I'm not sure of the function of the large bolt with a spring that extends down between the two sides of the float. Anything to do here?

There are also two brass "outs" from the float chamber I assume to the barrels. Anything in here I need to fiddle with? Or just spray and let be?

Are the two jets (?) sticking out into the chambers short and angled down approx. 45 degrees? There's a brass slotted screw above these. Anything to do here?

Carb was pretty gunky, so I've been attacking with carb cleaner.

Anxiously awaiting any suggestions/help!! I'm ready to get the car running!!!

Please remember I am "carb-illiterate." You can NOT say anything that will hurt my feelings. :)

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r

Please remember I am "carb-illiterate." You can NOT say anything that will hurt my feelings. :)

Byron,

You suck.

Ha ha - just kidding.

You bought a carb rebuild kit, right? I think that the fitting you tightened (which sounds like the little ball valve for the float) is replaced when you re-build the carb.

Keep cleaning stuff. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ken,

Of course I didn't get a rebuild kit. That would have been smart, and that's not always what I'm about. :)

Really I just started tearing in, partially out of frustration. I'm going to try cleaning everything up some more, then bolt everything back together. If I have to pull it again, I will.

Thanks for the help!!!

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r

Well - good luck.

The re-build kits for a 32/36 are pretty easy to come by, and you can get 'em pretty quick from places like Top End, Pierce Manifold or lots of places on E-bay.

If it is still giving you fits, try a couple of books that have helped me:

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburetors-HP-Books-774/dp/0895863774/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226261543&sr=8-1

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Haynes-Tech-Book/dp/B000JLMWGA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1226261543&sr=8-2

Pierce manifolds also makes a carb tuning book.

again - good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Hi Byron

I just emailed you some info on how to setup the weber to your school email address, shows you how to set up the float and all

Hope you are doing well, Michele was here this weekend and I told her I was sending you an email and she said to tell you hi She is prepping her equipment to start out on the AT in March Maybe you guys will meet up somewhere in PA :)

Cheers

Tell her hello!! Perhaps we'll meet up on the trail. I may do the Georgia section this summer though....we'll see.

Thanks for the email. I'll go through it tomorrow.

I did put the carb back on the car, and it's running well. HOWEVER...in all of the rough-running and shaking of last week...my shift plate managed to come loose at the rear (that bolt that holds the back to the tranny tunnel). SO...I didn't get to drive yet....but it ran well in the garage! :)

Byron

76 02 inka

04 r1150r