• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short Shifter Comparison

Goodnight85

The shift linkage on my '02 is getting worn. Instead of just replacing factory pieces, I am considering a short shift kit. I have done some lookin' around and found a few sources with quite a range in pricing. Has anyone had good luck with certain ones? So far, I like the short shift kits from www.autosolutions.net. Any feedback would be great. The others I have seen are from Ireland, racetep, Korman, BMP design and Bavauto. I also saw that B & M makes just a "race" shift lever, worth while?

I have used 4 different after market SS kits over the years and my favorite and the best long lasting one is the autosolutions kit. I currently have 4 of them installed in my different BMW's and they have lasted 10+ years with no issues. They are always tight, precise and feel great. This is probably due to the bronze bushings used over the normal plastic ones in the other kits.

I didn't like the Korman adjustable one, as it was notchy and I want to replace it with a different unit once I need to pull the tranny out that car in the next years.

I found the UUC ones didn't last very long, about 2-3 years same as a stock BMW unit, and you'd be much better off using a Z4 shift lever instead for far less money. It is very much the same thing.

WH

Funny I noticed the bronze bushings in the autosolutions (formerly metric mechanic) get a little sloppy over time but still way better than stock. I have this in my '76.

UUC in my M3 with the cartridge bearings is still amazingly precise after many years of driving.

I'd be curious what version of the UUC you had. Really early ones were different and I am not sure they had the bearings in them.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net