• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shady business practices Double 02 Salvage in Hayward

superann

I called Double 02 Salvage a week ago to get a price on a front windshield, and the guy who answered the phone (who was very nice and polite) told me that all front windshields were $75 and I'd be able to pick the best from their stock. I even asked twice to confirm the price and he assured me that it was a flat pricing and they only carry good pieces of used glass.

Today I called the same place to confirm the stock and also check their hours as I planned to go over there today after work. This time someone different answers. Not only does he insult me by asking if I'm sure I have a "BMW 2002" (when I tell him I'm looking for an "02 front windshield"), he also tells me that he has only a couple pretty scratched pieces for $100. Surprised, I tell him I was quoted $75. He then hastily states that they may have a "$75 piece of glass back there" but it will be in poor condition. So I ask if $100 is the maximum then, and he states "it will probably run you $100-$125". So from $75 to $100 and suddenly it's up to $125 a few seconds later for their "best piece of scratched glass"! I ask if he would please check for me what pieces they specifically have in stock and give me a quote along with the condition and make and all he says is "just come down and I'll pull it out for you." Is it not this guy's job or what?! Talk about poor customer service!

For a comparison, I talked to another glass place in Santa Rosa that quoted me $145 for a new Pilkington!!

I'm extremely disappointed in Double 02 Salvage. I'm sure they think that since they may be the only shop in town that they can arbitrarily assign and quote high prices as they see fit! If there's one thing I hate, it's supporting a greedy, shady business that belittles potential customers...

Hmmm... If I were you, I would tell the owner about your experience. I am sure he wouldn't let an employee ruin his company's reputation. He might even make something up to gain your business back, and perhaps even fire the dick who treated you so bad...

• Like 1

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Guest Anonymous

I've done mail order business with them over the phone for small parts and had no problem; quick delivery of used items as described.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Guest Anonymous

I have had them cop some "tude" with me more than once unfortunately. At this point I have everything I will ever need from them so I don't see an issue moving forward. The real kicker for was I beleive $40 or $45 dollars for four (4) door hinges (I had in my mind a couple of bucks each).....wrong. I needed them so I paid the piper so to speak.

Strange, I had a similar experience about 6 or 7 years ago about an '02 windshield. A phone call to them indicated that they had several good windshields in stock. But my actual visit revealed that there were no windshields that were useable (and all were still installed on their parts cars). I informed them that I was not happy wasting all the time and expenses driving to Hayward for nothing.

Looks like not much has changed since then.

I've only had a few experiences with Double02. I found their phone quotes often didn't match what they told me at the counter. I got a phone quote of $85 for a front strut housing, but they only charged me $75 when I got there. They're an odd hybrid of a salvage yard and new parts store, so the customer service is likewise uneven. I think they are just not that organized, and they don't really like to go in the back shop to check out stuff for phone callers. I don't think it's malicious. My walk-in experience with them has been fine.

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

The real kicker for was I beleive $40 or $45 dollars for four (4) door hinges (I had in my mind a couple of bucks each).....wrong. I needed them so I paid the piper so to speak.

Ouch! That's some serious price gouging! Reminds me of the time I asked about bumpers (the big ones) and was quoted $50 for a single shock (wish I'd seen this deal). Maybe as a forum we should consider compiling a list of suggested price ranges. I mean a bit of a markup is understandable, but some USED part prices are plain unfair!

A phone call to them indicated that they had several good windshields in stock. But my actual visit revealed that there were no windshields that were useable (and all were still installed on their parts cars). I informed them that I was not happy wasting all the time and expenses driving to Hayward for nothing.

Exactly, I don't see how they are so nonchalant about expecting us to drive out there blind.

I've done mail order business with them over the phone for small parts and had no problem; quick delivery of used items as described.

I expect some mixed reviews on this place certainly; I'm not suggesting that every representative is an ass... but the above is my true account and either way their pricing policy does seem suspect here.

Hmmm... If I were you, I would tell the owner about your experience. I am sure he wouldn't let an employee ruin his company's reputation. He might even make something up to gain your business back, and perhaps even fire the dick who treated you so bad...

I half expect the guy I spoke to on the phone to be the owner. I may just call up again to see if I can find out.

I have never dealt with them, but they must be doing something good as their ebay score is a perfect 100% on 3,000-plus transactions. Perhaps somebody just had a bad day ...

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

They're good guys. It's just that it is a salvage yard. They have piles and piles of parts and aren't that helpful over the phone, because...well they're a salvage yard.

Once there, they are usually happy to let you dig around and I've found the prices to be negotiable. Especially if you take the time to shoot the BS and as long as you aren't thin-skinned.

I've never had any success on the phone with salvage yards, and this is no exception.

• Like 2

Ebay's pretty cut and dry. The price and presumably item details are explicitly displayed the entire time. Perhaps that may be the best way to get what you want from them, and dealing with them through the phone is pretty worthless because you never know who or what you'll get when you actually show up at the store which is all that matters.

For all I know there's just one *** in the store and I happened to talk to him. My frustration lies as much in his price gouging tactics as well as his rudeness. However if it is the case that they're so inconsistent in both pricing and stock, I simply wish to not be misled. If they were to tell me or somehow make it known that they are unfortunately unable to quote pricing or check stock over the phone, it would be annoying but still understandable.

So anyway, I guess the consensus is that 02 Salvage over ebay = great; in person = sometimes good, sometimes bad; over the phone = worthless. Good to know. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!