• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear sunroof seal...again

robsanab

does the rear sunroof seal get glued to the body OR the sunroof panel?

upon searching, i find many posts and construction articles, but I find both methods used. No one addresses why they did it their way. Wondering if either way will work or if one is better than the other.

thanks

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

seal that does the front and sides is glued to the body.

If you can't find the archive posts on how to r & r the panel to replace the seal, drop me an e-mail; I did a column on it with fairly detailed instructions.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There is two seals, the one that goes to the front and side of the opening, and the one that goes in the back of the opening. There is also a weatherstrip inside hidden in the back of the sunroof panel, but it is rubber and not visible.

The one in front and to the sides goes in the body of the car, the one in the back I think goes in the body of the car as well, although someone has mentioned that they have installed that one in the sunroof panel. I have an old sunroof panel laying around and had no markings of ever having something glued to it.

check this out: http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

FAQ Member # 91

case in point... I have dubois write up and Kieth's site, which indicates that it goes on the body.... and then a couple others say it goes on the sliding panel... i vaguely remember that mine was on the sliding panel (can't remember and no telling if that was stock).

I just want the one that works the best... does one way lend itself to create a better seal or won't as easily rip off or what??

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

but I've had trouble with the ends curling/loosening a bit, even after extending the ends deep into the roof and trimming it on an angle. I'm sure the method Keith used will work great.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif