• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 2002 Automatic

SATimko

Hey everyone. I got this car about 5 years ago for free from a friend of the family I never had much time to tinker with it due to school, and keeping my daily driver on the road. Now that I've graduated, got a job, a place of my own, all that jazz, I've brought it home and started to clean it up to see what I have to work with. I'm currently trying to find any information as far as production numbers go about how many of this car were made. This could influence me on which way I go about working on the car. As an example, I wouldn't want to do a 5-speed conversion on a car that is hard to come by if you catch my drift.

Anyway, here's the most important part...the pictures. Keep in mind that these are of the car as I got it. The only thing I've done in the last several years was take the carb off to rebuild it. It's got a Weber 32/36 DGAV.

2545932885_69d255f154.jpg

2546759224_9da174e1e3.jpg

2545940149_9fd4e011de.jpg

2546766778_b3d4107b68.jpg

2545951823_8ec354c50d.jpg

2545972041_98c801faf6.jpg

I'm sure it's safe to assume the dashboard was replaced already.

2545975827_112e375c44.jpg

The spare tire well is the only thing that worries me.

2546790330_747c60f475.jpg

Drivers side rocker panel has been replaced already, and I have the passenger side sitting in the car to be done.

Thanks for looking. I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible, and welcome any suggestions / ideas.

1970 2002 Automatic

1997 Honda Civic - B18C1 swap

2002.5 Mazda Protege5

i'd also be a little worried about the rear shock towers.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Hmm, they looked pretty solid to me. Since I've not had one of these before, and have not seen the classic symptoms, where should I be looking in particular to see if there's much to be worried about?

1970 2002 Automatic

1997 Honda Civic - B18C1 swap

2002.5 Mazda Protege5

You need to cut the quarter panels around the wheel wells to see how much rust are there, there will be some. Remove the rear seats to see the extend of the rot on the wheel wells inside of the car. Remove the outer rocker panels to see the rot on the interior rocker panels. Check the bottom of the A pillars behind the front wheels, especially where they join the rocker panel. While you are there, buy some MGB intermediate rocker panels to stiffen up the rockers, add some metal to jack points to beef them up. Remove the insulation on the floors, clean them to bare metal to see the rot holes. Check the front and rear frame rails for rot. All easy to fix if you have a good welding machine and a parts car (which may be in better condition than your car), very expensive if you don't. Check the other project blogs and posts at FAQ for days and nights to learn how to deal with rust and to fix them up, don't hesitate to steal good ideas from other folks. Be patient and have some spare cash for parts. Give your self about two years to do it right.

• 1 month later...

Have you taken a welding class? Have you pulled up the carpets to see what rot is underneath? Is the orig. color Baikal? You're right, it would be very nice if restored to original or semi-original state. Very cool for free, that's a fact. When you have it roadworthy, you need to get together with the MW '02 owners around Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, etc. There are quite a few of us. I can add you to our email list if you'd like. Mike Self of 02 Cents Worth fame lives near me. He'd be very good to know as you restore your '70 Automatic! My email is: j DOT denker AT sbcglobal DOT net. Loads of luck {and $$} as you get that 02 into shape. JIM

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz