• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights?

bingbong

How easy is it to change the headlight buckets with say original replacements or the "diamond cut" lens you can get off ebay? Also how is it done?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

you need to remove the large grills around the headlights (2 upper & 2 lower screws, and J-hooks if you still have them). The headlights are held in the buckets by 3 small screws around the perimeter of the metal surround. Remove them to remove the headlight, after you unplug the wiring harness from the back of the headlight.

You can remove the entire headlight-containing buckets without removing the headlights - just need to unplug the headlight before removing the bucket.

[sorry for me to assume everyone had the USA lamp setup!]

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

How easy is it to change the headlight buckets with say original replacements or the "diamond cut" lens you can get off ebay? Also how is it done?

I'll assume you have the typical Euro type headlights, and the glass is attached to the bucket itself. I do not know if any exotic patterned glass can be swapped.

However, if you can find the typical US style buckets then you can swap the complete light itself as mentioned in the post above.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Replacing the actual lens is an art form. All the best if you try it but make sure you have numerous spares hanging around.

Oh yeah! I had the bright idea of adding silicone around the seal to ensure no water got in when I put new ones in many years ago. When it came time to change to LHD glass, the old glass came out eventually in a million pieces. My hand healed nicely except for the scar!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I believe I have the euro ones so I cannot replace the lens mirror part?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp