• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raise comprssion or not??

browneskids

Hi all, just wondering wether a standard 2.0 M10 running on 40DCOEs would benifit from raising the compression WITHOUT fitting a vernior type timing gear to re-correct the valve timing. Has anyone skimmed the head during a rebuild & noticed any difference??

Thanks, Kev.

Work to live........

NEVER live to work

Yup, it does help performance,

but it's also worth retiming the cam...

Pistons are really a better way to raise compression, and 10:1's not outrageous.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the replies. Just weighing up the costs really, the valve stem seals need to be replaced anyway. The car's only done 84000 miles & I don't think the heads ever been off!! I thought I might as well flow the exhaust manifold a bit better & re-face the head. Just wondered how much to skim it by - in thery, 0.7mm skim should raise com. ratio to about 9.2:1. I would like a different cam but the bodywork's already over budget (surprize)!! Maybe re-grind original cam??

Work to live........

NEVER live to work

Yea, I would not skim the head to get the comp ratio you want. I would go with pistons. I can't remember how much you can skim it but it's not very much. Also, if you do get it resurfaced, DON"T FORGET THE CAM GEAR COVER.

If you have the head off, you could go with some useable used (from someone on the FAQ?) stock size higher compression pistons. Once the head is off, you can pull the pistons with the rods. put on the new pistons on your old rods, and fit iron rings (after you hone the bores with a cylinder hone) and let it rip.

Is this the right way? Not really, but it would work on a budget.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Then I wouldn't cut the head just for compression. Uncut heads are

getting far too hard to find...

But DO measure the head thickness (129mm is the 'uncut' range)

because you might already be milled a bit.

I run 128mm heads on the racecar (because that's what it came with)

and I find I have to adjust valve timing about 3 degrees...

and that I have to change timing chains more frequently, because I run

out of adjustment range a lot quicker.

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL