• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taxachusetts and Sales Tax, Advise?

kubes

This might not be of interest to everyone, but any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a 72 tii w/ a blown motor for $800.00 and went to register it today here in Massachusetts. We must pay our 5% sales tax when we register a car from a private sales based on NADA not the actual purchase price. The determined value of the car via NADA values, which is currently at 25,500 for "average". http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1972&m=1026&d=1481&c=7&vi=62455&z=01950&da=1 I do not mind paying sales tax, but I feel this is very inflated, $40 vs $1,275!! That tax is more that I paid!!!

Has anyone dealt with the DMV or Department of Revenue (that who really is collecting that tax) on only paying what the current real average is on a car? Or the "real" sales price?

Do we really feel the "average" sales price of an "average" tii is 25k? I really wish it was!!

Thanks!!!

with regards to your questions, i have no experience with massachusetts tax issues.

2nd question: i do not think any average 02tii is anywhere near $25K in value, even on a good day.

now, for commentary on the underlying issue, we'd have to move to the OT-Conflict Forum.....

;)

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I have had same disgusting issue. When you buy from a dealer, you are taxed on actual, but from a private party, registry taxes you on book value. Last year I bought a 72 Bronco...Bill of Sale was for $1,000...MA Registry (Fall River) insisted I had to pay tax on book value of $6000. I paid tax and filed for a tax abatement in Boston...they said this was my only recourse. I have a blank form if you want to try (send me an email).

A couple weeks later, I received a reply from Boston denying my abatement request...crappy system!

I think you will be taxed on a value of $6-8K though...$25K is not right...I registered and paid tax on my 73 "02 in Spring. Luckily I got a Bill of Sale from a dealer...but I asked, and I think that was what they told me the book value was...though not a tii, of course.

Nat Finsness

-1973 BMW 2002 Malaga 34,000 miles...finished!

-1965 Pontiac GTO 389 4-speed

-1964 Pontiac Lemans Convertible 326 Auto

I was told that line 6 of DOR form CA-6 is the key and the box to request "settlement consideration at the Office of Appeals." Otherwise it denied, by law and never sent on for appeal. Nat is that how you tried? It just seems completely backwards .. to pay the tax and "hope" to get it back! Paying more in tax than I paid for the car, it not right!

Here is the form: http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dor/Forms/IncTax01/addpdfs/ca6.pdf

That's the same form I sent...with a cover letter, photos and Bill of Sale/Title. Give me your email address if you want a copy of what I sent...maybe if you were to provide more backup, they will be practical...

finsness@comcast.net

-1973 BMW 2002 Malaga 34,000 miles...finished!

-1965 Pontiac GTO 389 4-speed

-1964 Pontiac Lemans Convertible 326 Auto

• 11 months later...