• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 2002 E-Brake...its been modified, can I undo this? Help!

xlittlejohnx

I recently purchased a '72 2002, but the E-Brake has been modified. Does not look the e-brake on my last 02 by any means. I am about to put new carpet in, but don't want this huge bracket in the way or to put new holes in the carpet. Pics were to big for this site. Here is a link to my other post on the cca site... http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3525

'73 2002

'00 M5

e-brake bracket - it appears that someone who didn't have the capability of making proper repairs to the original e-brake bracket bolted a replacement together from flat and bar stock, and bolted it to the tunnel.

Best bet for a proper repair will probably be to find someone who is parting a car out and ask them to cut the section of the tunnel surrounding the stock e-brake handle out of the car and ship it to you.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but there's a distinct possibility that the original opening in the tunnel has been enlarged, so it would be a real good idea to remove the current bracket, take some photos and get measurements of the existing hole so the person you get the replacement tunnel section and bracket from can cut a big enough piece to replace an material that's been removed.

Unfortunately, this may be a fair sized project, and will almost certainly involve at least some welding.......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I can not view your pics, but from the sound of it.... That is if you are not going for originality it would be easier to install a modified e30 hand brake. Haven't made one for a while but I think I may have one that I started converting a while back.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Barry,

Thanks for the info. I kinda suspected this was a "caveman" special of sorts. Cutting and welding is above and beyond what I am willing to do myself. Time to find an expert in the DC area!

John

brake lever that incorporates the retaining flange for the brake lever boot that's missing - about the only way to find out is get that monster bracket out of there and compare the opening to a correct, original set up.

If it IS just the e-brake handle base that's missing and the hole has not been cut larger, it should be fixable by carefully removing a stock base from its surrounding tunnel material (another reason to start with a piece cut out of a parts car), and get it welded into place. You'll also want to have the holes the PO/caveman drilled in the tunnel to mount his fabrication welded shut at the same time (don't forget to prep and paint the welded repair areas, both inside and on the underside of the tunnel, or you'll be giving rust a good starting place).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)