• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New user... 1975 BMW 2002

Hi,

I have a good friend who gave me a 1975 BMW 2002:

IMG_1188.jpg

My daughter, age 9, already loves the car!

IMG_1194.jpg

Anyway, I'll have a lot of questions for the group.

I'm planning on making it a nice driver. A few days ago, on this site, I saw a car that was orange with a lot of other colors painted over the top of the orange base color. It was quite interesting! I'm looking for those photos, they may be some of the inspiration for this car.

Regards, Cliff

'75 BMW 2002

In time you'll have to decide how "good" this friend was to you.

Remember; First one's always free.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

Welcome!

I'll offer a little low key advice, and try not to be too preachy:

1) make it safe (suspension/brakes/tires)

2) make it reliable (wiring/fuel system/exhaust/drivetrain)

3) even the rattiest cars perform better when clean - because you discover all kinds of "nightmares waiting to happen" while you tidy things up. I'm not talking Q tip clean - just sorted and organized.

I've spent an absolutely obscene amount of time and money fully restoring 2002s, but the most FUN 2002 I ever owned was this one pictured. Fully restored brakes, suspension, drivetrain - but wonderfully ugly. The thing drove like a DREAM and captured the hearts of all who drove it or rode inside. I hope the current owner still drives it. Named "Otis" by a previous owner - it kinda' stuck. I miss this one badly.

Looks like the interior is nice in yours - and that the rust is at least slowed down by the previous owner. You're gonna have a BLAST!

cheers!

Paul wegweiser

post-2748-13667595783709_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Looks like it is gonna be a fun project. And you got a free helper!?!?!?! I gotta have me some kids! Everyone here has a plethora of knowledge and always willing to help. Welcome to the family (read: cult).

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Little off topic, but I too and a newbie. I noticed the turbo flares and the rocker trim on the ORANGE 02 pictured here. Can someone tell me where I can get a set of those flares and rocker trim that matches?

thanks,

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Benetton, That's it! Well, mine won't be quite like that, but it will be different. And I realize, I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself.

As for a helper, I actually have a wife and five (5, cinco) kids. This is also my fifth car in the stable right now. So you can see, this won't be a perfect Concours De' Elegance show car restoration. I want it to be a safe and reliable driver. Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I dig into it.

-Cliff

'75 BMW 2002

What are those wheels on the middle yellow car called? I've always liked those, and they look especially good on certain 2002s.

thats blunt's car(colorado orange) and im not sure exactly what wheels but i think they are the rota rb's that there was a group buy for.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on