• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear license plate--what does the bracket do?

Forza

When I attach my rear US license plate to my '73 '02, the top of the plate obscures part of the chrome trunk trim. Is there a bracket that lowers the height of the plate so it doesn't rest over the trim? Maximillian lists a rear plate base (51181830807) for $62.15--does this base remedy this problem? Isd there another solution?

Cheers!

John B. Ellis

1973 Inka 2002 (b. February 7th, 1973)

Weber 40 DCOE

Visit your local hardware store and find a couple of thick rubber grommets. If you're cheap use an appropriate length of thick small diameter rubber hose (like a piece of A/C hose)

Bolt 'em between the license plate and the holes in the rear panel. This'll space the plate away from the bodywork so it won't chip the paint or ding the aluminum trim that connects the two tail lights.

The bracket in Max's catalog is for late squarelights and won't help you.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The rear plate mounts through the lower holes on the plate directly through the body panel and does rest on the horizontal strip. Some have drilled more holes in the body to lower the plate off the trim but then the plate is not centered in the lights.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Different take, US delivery cars (pre integral light/bracket), the small bracket with long slot and one hole bolts to the body hole (matchs license plate width) License plate attaches through top of slot in bracket. keeps plate away from body.

post-1480-13667595592947_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667595597246_thumb.jpg

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

my'69 came with no brackets or even holes to accept license plate bolts in the rear. I had to do that after I took delivery on the car. And my '73 didn't have anything back there but a couple of holes drilled in the bodywork either.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What part number are those brackets?

The brackets are alum, no number, have seen them on a number of CA original cars. Next time I';m around a paper parts book try to remember to find.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe