• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 resto + s14

2dingos

thanks blunt,

yeah balls deep now trying to sort out the roll bar plan since the guy is coming in 10 days to take it away for the bars. How much are the rear side window seals that you sell? And who has the headlight buckets?

first bimmer, 1974 2002......undergoing ground up with S14

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quarters are off with minimal concerns, paint stripping is underway. When I get back tonight from taking it to the roll bar guy, I will post up some recent pics. Thanks to Ian for the info on the nose panel I am looking for.

While it is away, I will start ripping into the sub frames and tearing them down for blasting and powder coating.

Frigging dollar is on a slide right now so ordering from the US is on hold I guess, right when I needed to order from Ireland Eng.

Anyone know of a place to order a dash gauge pod for 3 gauges?

post-7021-13667596653986_thumb.jpg

post-7021-13667596658444_thumb.jpg

post-7021-13667596662441_thumb.jpg

post-7021-13667596666452_thumb.jpg

he builds lots of full race cages, mine will be legit for lap days at calabogie and other nearby tracks. if i decide to race wheel to wheel where a full cage is required then additions can be made...... for now, it should be stiff enough to notice in solo 2 class.

regarding the side bars. they were added for some extra forward stiffness without getting annoying for in and out of the car.

the tubing used is extruded 1/20th tubing that is required for sanctioned racing.

got the car back today from the cage guy. A couple tweeks will need to be made i think, but all in all, I am pretty happy with it. The dead pedal looks great, but will have diamond plate over it after which will make it better still.

post-7021-13667597114378_thumb.jpg

post-7021-13667597118583_thumb.jpg

hilarious, yeah i forgot to bring it to him and too far to turn around. The body guy will be doing a bit of metal work so he will get that done. Sigh. Anyway there are a few things that will be re-worked .........

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday I took the the last door over to the body guy and checked up on the hood, trunk lid, and front fenders. The trim holes have been welded and ground down, a small patch was put on the lower front edge of the right fender and they are ready to be etched and epoxy primed. I am pumped on how into his craft the body guys is. Not stoked on the ongoing bill with him. Anyway I have some help coming this week to finish stripping that mess of undercoat under the car then it will be sent for blasting/etching next week I hope. These pics are when I dropped them off. Pics to follow tonight after I go see them bits again.

Anyone know how to remove the boxes and stuff around the photos?

post-7021-13667598179211_thumb.jpg

post-7021-13667598183458_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

June .... finally a bit of time to get back to the car. Daughter is seven months now and things are .... well there are minutes here and there lets say. I saw the body guy the other day, and he is ordering up the paint this week. Door, hood, bonnet, and front 1/4's are ready for paint. In the end I will pay this guy more this year than I will pay down on my mortgage. Someone on here says they have a disease, well I understand now.

The trim holes and rear marker lights are all filled in. This undertaking was my first welding project ever. I am pretty happy that I will be able to say that I did the bulk of this myself....

anyway, some pics to follow

Well, took a couple pix of the recent stripping. I figure about 30 more hours then it can be blasted for primer etc...
The surprise is how clean the metal is. I included some wheel well shots as examples. $1452.00 I bought this for, yes dead motor but the shell was sure worth it. Just deleting trim holes and other random holes in the engine compartment that will no longer be needed. Today I hope to cut out the spare tire well.

post-7021-13667608293807_thumb.jpg   post-7021-13667608296098_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2dingos

• 5 weeks later...

the chemical is called Talstrip. It is airplane fuselage stripper. it works amazing, just takes a bit of time, as you can see. It will not take off the coating that exists on the original steel, although it browns a little.

The other thing I find is working amazing is a 7' wire wheel on my grinder. I am using a fine one so that it doesn't get into the steel too much.

Three of us will be at it tomorrow night if the weather holds and then off to the body guy for a million dollars more work.......

pics will follow by the weekend I hope