• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pumps

POP3Y3

used a mechanical fuel pump--the same one used on the single barrel downdraft cars--so it must have sufficient capacity...

And I suspect that the "Bosch" mechanical pump is in fact a Pierburg, re-boxed to take advantage of Bosch name recognition...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

used a mechanical fuel pump--the same one used on the single barrel downdraft cars--so it must have sufficient capacity...

And I suspect that the "Bosch" mechanical pump is in fact a Pierburg, re-boxed to take advantage of Bosch name recognition...

mike

Yes, I know that. Those were Solex carbs though, on a fairly fresh engine.

Personally, I had problems with getting enough fuel pressure from the stock pump with just a 32/36 on my tired old engine. Not sure why, but I didn't like it one bit. It's not as easy to diagnose as an electric pump either (gotta get out guage and hook it in, whereas an electric just hums or doesn't hum). The Carter electric pump put the fuel pressure worries out of my mind for good, so I could worry about other things.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Here are two previous posts that I have answered similar questions...

IMHO, I like the E3 Bavaria/e9 Coupe mechanical pumps....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,288923/highlight,pierburg/

ack, AutohausAZ and RockAuto don't even list a mechanical pump for the Bavaria, and Max's site says $161....

• Like 1

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

well, I bought a Bavaria pump from Blunt in February for $96, including shipping ...

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I bought a electric fuel pump from a local vw store. I think it was a EMPI that sells for $35.00 When I first installed i didnt put enough rubber behind it and it was noisy but then doubled up and is mostly quite when turning the key on. I cant hear any noises/ humming while running. There supposedly is a connector pre wired under the dash where dealers use to run the wires so it would be on a stock relay. But i never could find it and in the shop manual it wasnt very descriptive.

only, as it was for the tii electric fuel pump. It's located under the dash, just above the hood release on the car's left, is taped to the wiring harness and stubbed out with an insulated connector. On 72 and 73 cars, it's on fuse 11, same as the instruments; on 74's it's (I think) fuse 12.

Easy way to confirm you have the right wire: turn ign on, connect a test light to the wire (grounding the light's other wire), then remove the designated fuse. If you have the correct fuse, the light will go out.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have both the mechanical fuel pump in my '76 2002(works fine) and the PO had installed what looks like the Tii electric pump in the trunk next to the gas tank. The electric pump does make more noise than I care for, BUT, I only drive my car once a week. After sitting for 7 days it takes approx. 20-30 seconds for the mechanical pump to prime the carb and start the car. With the electric pump hooked up it only takes 4-5 seconds to start the car. A switch in the cab to switch it on and off is on my to-do list. Then I can switch it on to start the car and then off for the rest of the time. When I can drive more often the car will start right up with just the mechanical pump.(driving atleast every other day)

Collin in Scottsdale

1976 Chamonix