• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

detailing problem: glass

giusto

So, I have a '71 and am extremely frustrated with the reoccurring haze on the interior side of the glass. This haze develops about a day or so after I thoroughly clean it.

The pics may or may not help — the shot of the windshield has a few fingerprints ... that haze appeared two days after washing.

I've tried: windex; simple green; diluted dawn; and, all kinds of vinegar.

I'm not exactly sure of the smoking history inside the car. that may be a factor. I also don't use any armor all or other products on the dash. Can years of dash polishing build up by previous owners be to blame?

All suggestions are welcome and will be tried (ahem, within reason).

post-7670-1366759461001_thumb.jpg

post-7670-13667594611499_thumb.jpg

Nick

Something is "offgassing"? Maybe the driver?

If you have new synthetic parts that could be the culprit. (The car I mean)

Isn't it real dry and dusty in your area this time of year? When you wipe off the windshield use a white cloth and see if there is a noticable color, same as some important fluid, washer or coolant.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

I agree with Ahlem - 'offgassing'

from to much 'product' coating on the dashboard,

funky odor from the sheepskins, and other

'products' used in the interior.

Detox the interior, and use old newspaper

to clean the inside of the glass instead of papertowels

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Today I'm redoing the heater box on my 69 for a second time, this time because of a small leak that creates the sweet smell and fogs the glass. Even with the heater valve "off" a small amount of coolant trickles out, usually ending up under the front carpet, that is the place to look.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Guisto,

Could be the seats you mentioned in your early post. If it is the heater core you should see the film/build-up on the front glass first. Your photos show the side windows, which might be off-gassing from something else, like the seats. If you can roll down the windows and let the process get over with.

If this is a recent event, the heater core would be the first place to start. Open the floor vent and try to run your finger inside the heater box. If you have a leak in the core, there should be the same costing present inside the heater core box.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"