• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on powder coating trim…

robsanab

…and tops of big bumpers?

All my anodized alum trim (is it called ‘beltline’?) and bumpers are in decent shape… no huge dents, just scratched and very dull. I have searched and found all the suggestions, frustrations and conficting opinions on this and have tried some things myself and this is what I'm considering... something completely different...

The powder coating guy near me said that he could garnet blast the trim and put on two coats for about $200 bucks… as you may know there are a variety of finishes including an aluminum looking high gloss that might replicate shiny new trim… as you may also know to replace all trim, including the drip rails, with new trim approaches $800 and then you have all that shiny new trim looking out of place with the other cloudy window trim and bumpers…. So, I’m thinking of getting it all powder coated. The coating guy needs to look at it but I imagine that to do the tops of the bumpers and other miscellaneous trim may only be maybe another 200 or 300? (BTW everything is off the car already for painting prep)

Plus I’m not into high chrome like shine… I might do everything in a semi-gloss aluminum like the typical silver painted wheel… then everything would match nicely.... wouldn't have to bother with fingerprints, etc.

That all being said, I’m just not sure if the drip rail for example would have a tendency to chip since I think that piece needs to get crimped on.

Anyone with powder coating experience got thoughts?

sorry i got long winded

rob

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I tried it on a few pieces to see how it would look and the results were pretty good. I need to dig up the pictures but I used a chrome powder with a high gloss clear. I also did it on some roundie tail light chrome and it looked really nice. Here is an example of the color that I used.

post-548-13667594392387_thumb.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Plus I’m not into high chrome like shine… I might do everything in a semi-gloss aluminum like the typical silver painted wheel… then everything would match nicely.... wouldn't have to bother with fingerprints, etc.

rob

I agree --- I bet that would look awesome!!!

-Old Skool-