• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double front caliper setup: Good or Evil?

ClayW

The famed "White and Green car" had this set up. Who knows what it has now. It worked VERY well as a road burner with the 320i rear drums and tii MC.

John

jeffs2002.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 2 months later...

I'd have thought someone here would have thought about turning or drifting brake applications. something like smaller M/Cs (clutch maybe?) as individual systems paired to E- brake ratchets or something? I'm tearing apart a 81 320i donor and although I'm going to run it all from a late '02 m/c its crossed my mind. I'm not too concerned about heat really, I've had calipers drag until the rotors glowed red. and although those rotors are coming off to go with the 81's, they never warped enough to jutter or anything. had to get new dust seals and pads.. (did pistons too, but they looked fine) but the rotors sure took the heat . I should have just pulled the wheel lugs & quenched it in some oil! (temper) ok- not really but they definitely got hot enough. with a functional system, I dont think they'd ever build up too much heat as a daily driver in traffic but I'm going to try whatever I can on my budget to enhance any beneficial feature.. maybe I'll try something else, but I'm about to go from 320 calipers and 1600 drums to dual 320 calipers and 320 drums, because skepticism and weight are the only drawbacks I've seen in my research other than just what you'd expect- more stop.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone has thought or tried running them as independent fronts for any reasons. or if anyones taken the individual rear drum cables to individual brake levers? I know it's not that uncommon, but havent heard anything about people doing this in 02's. It looks very easy to do... and now I'm wondering- if anyone here's tried something along those lines?

Tim. 2 daily drivers

His: 68' 1602-

Hers: 76' 2002 auto-