• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the way to Ofest we're visiting Nigara Falls. If you've

Mike Self

been there recently, any suggestions as for places to stay? Anything special needed (besides passports) if you're gonna drive across the border into Canada?

And suggestions for a scenic drive from there down to Watkins Glen?

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nate from Buffalo knows a very scenic drive with great road surface. I followed him back from Watkins last year, and aside from the rain, it was a really really fantastic drive.

Hopefully he will chime in.

On the Canadian side, the drive between Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, along the Niagara River, is nice, as long as you are not there on a weekend....very busy.

Almost forgot, when we worked there last year we stayed here:

http://www.fallsview.com/NiagaraSheratonFallsviewHotel.shtml

If you get a high floor facing the falls it is pretty spectacular

Mike,

1. Visit the wineries and buy some ice wine. It's not generally available in the U.S., but it's a speciality of the region.

2. The Maid of the Mist is great - but we also enjoyed the elevator down to the falls. Bring a raincoat. Once you get down on the veranda, and see the permanent rainbow up close, it's a sight you won't soon forget.

3. A number of the chain hotels are there, and some have high-rise vistas of the falls. I can't make a specific recommendation, since I've never stayed there overnight, but the area is well-developed, and the chain high-rises have great views.

4. As you note, you now need a passport to cross between the U.S. and Canada. A license won't do it, any more.

5. I have alerted the border patrol to detain and strip-search you. Just kidding. Maybe. You'll never know, but you'll always wonder.