• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big gaps around doors - newbie needs help please!

Hi, can someone take a look at some photos and answer a couple of questions please?

My doors appear to shut very smoothly and all shut lines are okay (perhaps 15mm at front of door and 10 mm at back of door) but I can see the road through the gap between the front of my door and the door hinge pillar. Same on passenger and driver doors!

So - are the door seals original or are they too small/narrow etc etc?

If they are original, can I adjust for this much of a gap? It's huge - and considering the doors shut okay, I can't figure it out.

I know the door card inserts are wrong - the previous owner was not exactly worried about originality - so that leads me to think the seals are wrong.

Sorry if all this seems naive - but I appreciate any help you guys can offer!

post-15178-13667594093638_thumb.jpg

post-15178-13667594094617_thumb.jpg

Hey,

Do you know the color of your car? Didn't know if it had a sticker on the hood showing if it was Atlantikblue or Riveria blue or another blue?

Curious, doing body work on mine and it appears to be the same color. thought it was Riveria until the paint shop made it up, then had them darken it to almost a Atlantikblu. But then it doesn't seem to have that purplish tint color? Think the PO may have just rattled it a dark blue.

Thanks

ron

your VIN will bring you the car's assembly and delivery dates, and its original color.

As for door gaps, from the interior pix, it appears the door is standing proud from the body. Gaps don't seem to be particularly huge and are at least even front and back. Also, the door is neither too high or low in its frame.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think you might have aftermarket generic rubber-

take a look at the rubber as it goes up and around the glass.

The OEM stuff changes shape and composition 2 or 3 times,

as there are different designes used to seal the glass, door, and vent window.

It's pretty thick, and yours looks thinner. But it's really hard to tell in pictures..

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yeah - you are right. I just checked - the seals are uniform along their whole length indicating they are just generic seals. They are just over 2.5 cm in width and 1.5 cm in depth. I suspect the OEM seals are much wider and deeper at the hinge section - and that may account for some of the gap that I am experiencing - and badly hung doors (I think) which is compounding the situation.

• 3 weeks later...