• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum refinish

Okanagan02

To refinish mine I just took some 1000grit paper and sanded them down. Then using a 6 inch buffing wheel on the bench grinder and some aluminum compound I polished them out. Reattached using generic trim clips from pepboys and they looked great. Not new but I was basically to lazy to spend that much time polishing. You could get them to a mirror finish if you were patient enough.

If your car is not being restored to the highest levels of scrutiny, I advocate either leaving the restored aluminum alone and polishing as needed, or applying a clear coat to the surface.

That's honest.

What he doesn't say is that getting the anodizing off is difficult, as it's a

lot harder than the soft aluminum underneath.

I don't scrutinize apperance things that highly any more. Just wheel bearings

and such...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

something you may want to look into... I think I'm going to try this:

as I write this the body shop is taking off my trim, fixing the body and prepping for paint... he is going to buff out the large scratches... I just talked with a local powder coating guy (he's ceramic coated my headers a while back with success), he said he could garnet (sp?) blast the trim and put 2 coats of either a satin or high gloss silver powder coat on them for around $200... doing extra stuff, top of bumpers and other trim won't be that much more.

I think I'll try it and maybe even go with a finish that matches a typical silver painted wheel... so a little less glossy than standard. Also all the aluminum finishes will match.

I figure it's worth a try... I know I won't be satisfied with dull trim against the new paint and the upper trim and drip rails new cost like $700... and that's not ALL the trim that needs attention.

If I go this route I'll report to yall how it turned out.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)