• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the deal?

bingbong

I'm still having HUGE trouble starting my car cold. The plugs fouled up after 150km's after cleaning so I put in some hotter plugs so they are completely clean and new yet I was cranking and pumping for a good 3 minutes. The jetting of the carbies isn't that far off. Could my ignition be fried? What else should I be looking into? Once running the car flys but starting thats a whole other story.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Oh well I replaced the ignition coil and cleaned the plugs and it all worked out. Other ignition coil was dead. I have the car booked into a carby specialty place for next week. Hopefully I can get this figured out coz if I go back to the solex I have the engine will become boring.

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I just went through this same issue with my 76. I have a Weber 32/36 on it and it would also take 4-5 mins to start on a cold engine.

I built a re-build kit for my 32/36 for $40 and it was a waste of money. Threw it all in there with no changes. I diagnosed it a little further and realized I had two main problems. Cracks in the fuel lines (takes the engine a while to push that fuel back up to the carb) and a bad electric choke. I finally said screw it and purchased a factory rebuilt and tested Weber from Double 02 Salvage. I paid $250 for it but it was worth it- The carb was practically new and it's already tweaked so all you need to do is bolt it on and go. After replacing it, I turned the key once on a cold start and it fired right up.

The carb shop will tell you some good stuff I'm sure-

Good Luck and I hope you fix it soon!

Cabe

1976 BMW 2002 - Sunroof

well I cant actually use the cold start choke system plus they dont change much when cold starting anyway. I think I might get some sort of electronic ignition to really fix the problem of spark. Get the carbies fully checked over and jetting/tuned. Then hopefully I will be sweet.

I have twin 40mm sidedrafts, the accl pump is working fine, it fly's once its going, its just getting it going.

Huh- twins, you should be able to pump it 2-4 times,

hit the key, and get joy in a few revolutions.

Then keep some throttle on to keep it running, if your cold start

enrichment's not hooked up.

I think it's fuel, not electrical...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

yeah, it probably is fuel but even if i pump like 10 times it wont start.