• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Strut Brace is in, battery in, now I have a problem

2002Monster

The red charging light is staying on when the key is out of the ignition. Bad ground? Voltage regulator? Something else?

Red light goes out when the key is turned to the next detent.

What can it be?

TIA

02MonsterMike

BTW, I bought the brace from Matt Kehler from Manitoba.....fits great..and I stripped it down and repainted it with low-gloss black....Thanks again Matt.

post-2347-13667593441836_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667593443509_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667593445118_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667593447086_thumb.jpg

I suspect a bad diode in the alternator...coincidental? Not sure. Double check all wiring, then test alternator.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

or happy to help.

Alternator light on with the ignition off indicates that you are back feeding the alternator from the battery.

Did you run your positive to a junction box or straight to the starter?

How did you connect the rest of the positive connectors that terminated at the battery?

Make sure no wire is frayed, all the connections are clean and secure including the ground wire from the back of the alternator to the front cover.

I would also run a negative ground from the block (where the original negative was) to the driver side inner fender.

Let us know how it turns out.

HTH.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Monster Mike,

Please email me at: cram775@gmail.com

I need to get one of those braces for my car. I just cut out my battery box in front and that brace looks super good, especially since one does not have to drill into the strut tower.

Otherwise, can you post Matt's contact information, that would be cool. I think you mentioned Manitoba. I know that Canada, but no worries, I'll order one from his even if he is North of the border.

Thank you!

Marc

The Road of Life Should Be Driven in a BMW2002!! Happy Trails!

My money is on a bad ground. I'd take off that dinky screw, and run a bolt from behind the panel where you've put your ground.

Scrape the paint on both sides, and use a star washer to really bite into the metal (also on both sides)

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog