• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best car movie poll

ScottNC

All time best car movie?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. All time best car movie?

• Le Mans with Steve McQueen
    • Grand Prix with James Garner

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you were all incorrect.

You are correct that everyone is incorrect - but they (we) are incorrect for the incorrect reasons. To correct the incorrectness, one simply should not forget the Charlie Sheen classic - "The Chase," featuring ScottNC's favorite ride (a BMW model number that begins with, dare we say in front of ScottNC - a "3").

wrong wrong wrong WRONG! I submit the greatest automotive film of all time:

;-p

For me it's Gran Prix. Steve is dead and Garner sells Geritol, how 'bout The Shark? Frankenhiemer directed Ronin about thirty years after Gran Prix, among his other movies are a couple of the best of all time, the original Manchurian Canidate and Seven Days In May. Best comedy car movie, mentioned by Tico: The Great Race, way under-rated is the original Italian Job, besides being more fun than the remake, I'd much rather have its stable of iron. BTW - the Challenger was built on the same platform as the Charger/Road Runner while the Bacaruda was built on the Valiant/Dart platform.

Since this thread is about great car movies. I'd agree that Gran Prix and Le Mans are the top of the heap, with my choice being Gran Prix simply due the realism and how racing is protrayed. It made me want to get on the track again, every time I see it.

I feel Rondezvous would be in the top 10 of all time great car flicks, it's a great idea although not filmed greatly. The original Italian job chase scene I think set a new level along with Bullit as how to film a good car flick and all the "modern" car chase films I feel are not as good and don't hold a candle to them. Ronin, 007 films, etc lack a certain style and character that the older films had.

Simply the worst was the remake of the "Italian Job", the story line, acting and car scenes were done poorly. Charlize Theron was the only enduring feature of that film. They killed the best actor off in the first 15 min, Donald Sutherland. The mini stunts while based upon the original film lacked any real style. I have to say that is the first movie I ever got up and left 3/4 way through, it was so bad.

As for mopars. It's not true the Challenger was based off the Charger platform. The "new" Challenger as well as the 1970 on Barracuda's were an "E-body" platform. A totally new platform from Dodge/Plymouth that came out in the 1970 model year. The "old" Barracuda's 1969 and before were an "A body" base like the dart/Valiant. The Charger was a "B-body" based car more like the Dodge super bee and Plymouth roadrunner.

The 1970 Challenger and 'cuda's where twin sisters, both sharing the same platform when they where introduced. One a dodge and one a Plymouth product. They both are similar but different. I prefer the 'cuda's like many because they have the "right" look and what's cooler than driving a "fish"?

WH

1970 Plymouth Barracuda

1969 Dodge Super Bee

1971 Dodge Challenger

12 BMW's....

and 7 other British and Italian cars.

somehow I don't think of either of those 2 when you say car movies. for me, it's Gone in 60 seconds, both old and new.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

somehow I don't think of either of those 2 when you say car movies. for me, it's Gone in 60 seconds, both old and new.

Good: original versions of Gone in 60 seconds, and Italian Job

Bad: new versions of each. I turned off both movies right in the middle .

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

OK, you lightweights!!!

I'm voting for this one:

Redline7000.jpg

...and don't forget anything by Henry Gregor Felsen:

"Fever Heat" with Nick Adams

FeverHeatsm.jpg

"To Please a Lady"

170623~To-Please-a-Lady-Posters.jpg

But wait! There's more!

HRTH_Poster.jpg

Elvis and Ann-Margaret:

Viva-Las-Vegas-Poster-C10126153.jpeg

And if you haven't had enough:

livelyset400.jpg

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

OK, you lightweights!!!

Of course, surprise surprise, there's a web site for everything.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/116497/article.html

But Scott, if I may have the final word here, no stupid car movie will ever match the majesty of the greatest race scene ever filmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQvpJsTvxU

Please, no further responses, out of respect for immortal movie royalty. All hail.

Not that it has anything to do with the original poster's question,

and I hate to agree with anything Otis says, but if the question was about racing in general.......

.......well he just might be right about this one.

This scene never fails to amaze me, and if I see that movie in the guide, I will always make a point to catch this part.

OK, you lightweights!!!

Of course, surprise surprise, there's a web site for everything.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/116497/article.html

But Scott, if I may have the final word here, no stupid car movie will ever match the majesty of the greatest race scene ever filmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQvpJsTvxU

Please, no further responses, out of respect for immortal movie royalty. All hail.

I don't need no website to pull those movie titles out of my head, O, ye of little faith.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I hate to agree with anything Otis says

Well, there's certainly one from left field. To paraphrase Quintus Arrius,

"Your eyes are full of hate, TonyHavana. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength."

But let us not hate, TonyHavana. Let us drink together as brothers. All hail.

post-1769-13667592745905_thumb.jpg

"Your eyes are full of hate, TonyHavana. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength."

This is a better quote from the film, "AIRPLANE!"

Captain Oveur: "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEivPHjimw

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Touche Otis, .......however to quote Byron

"Now hate is by far the longest pleasure;

Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure."

"Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure" - Byron

Well, far be it for me to deny you, your leisure activity. But it was also Byron who said, "Hatred is the madness of the heart." And in that light:

"A man who lives, not by what he loves but what he hates, is a sick man." -- Achibald Macleis

"Hatred is self punishment." -- Hosea Ballou

"Hatred, which could destroy so much, never failed to destroy the man who hated and this was an immutable law." -- James Baldwin

"Hatred is a coward's revenge for being intimidated." -- George Bernard Shaw

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." -- Herman Hessee

"It's a sign of your own worth sometimes if you are hated by the right people." -- Miles Franklin

"I shall never permit myself to stoop so low as to hate any man." -- Booker T. Washington

And finally, and perhaps most appropriately for you, my friend TonyHavana from the Great White North:

"Take off, Hoser." -- Bob and Doug McKenzie

post-1769-13667592755637_thumb.jpg