• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s50/s52 in an 02?

ash00

I'm good!

My car has been on the road for what, 3-4 weeks now? I'm very happy with the result. Car looks great. Of course, if you look really really close and nitpick, there's minor shortcomings. But it's a driver, so I'm not complaining.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

If you have the fab skills to put a 24v in an '02 then you have the fab skills to put a e30 rear subframe and diff in an '02.

thats exactly what i am thinking about .. convert the suspension to E30 , or E21 .. subframe and all ..

and just as a thought .. could that be done (using E30 or E21 stuff?) and what if you have a skilled bodywork shop ? or maybe convert the floorpan to E21 or E30 ? :D

bmwfans_userbar.png

-Living in the wrong side of the world ..

Cheers

Chatroom John

I'm very skeptical about those comparable engine weights though, but purely on gut feel. Wasn't someone trying to compile the definitive engine weight chart, based on like for like comparisons (ancillaries/dry/wet/etc).

That was me. I weighed my M10 before I sold it a few weeks ago. Came in at ~345lbs fully dressed, ready to run. I posted the link to the picture of the fully dressed aluminum M52 at ~355lbs. I'll make a new thread soon.

Now with the more common iron block m50/m52/s50/s52, I would be a bit more careful. Going off internet hearsay but I believe the iron block 24v is about 30lbs heavier than the m20. The m20 weighs in right at ~400lbs proven. So now we're comparing 345 for the M10 versus ~430 for the iron 24v. You also have to consider the weight difference of the trannies.

So thats a 85lbs difference, about 4% of the average '02s weight(2200lbs). Fiberglass hood saves you 30lbs, 45lbs down to ~15lbs. The rest can be tuned out with shocks and springs.

If you really want the bee's knees you can put an S52 crank in alum M52 for a very light 3.0L.

Interesting stuff - do you know what the fully dressed weight of an s14 is??

You mention gearbox, but also consider the diff - 49lbs for a 2002/e21 diff versus 83lbs for an e30. Didn't Paul Cain use an all alloy engine and his beast weighed in at around 1200kgs, with CF panels, 2 seats, and no heater - granted it has 2 turbos and the necessary plumbing.

I love any imaginative engine swap, but I also think less weight is better than more power every time.

And lastly, John Capoccia - that looks like an m20 to me.

Cheers, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

S52 Possible - yes:

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/Racing/RacingFrankIntro.htm

Somewhere in their write up, there's a movie I remember watching. If you look close, you'll see the brake fluid reservoir mounted on the dash. To me, that means there's a whole lot of stuff under the hood, if there's not room for that...

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Interesting stuff - do you know what the fully dressed weight of an s14 is??

You mention gearbox, but also consider the diff - 49lbs for a 2002/e21 diff versus 83lbs for an e30. Didn't Paul Cain use an all alloy engine and his beast weighed in at around 1200kgs, with CF panels, 2 seats, and no heater - granted it has 2 turbos and the necessary plumbing.

I love any imaginative engine swap, but I also think less weight is better than more power every time.

And lastly, John Capoccia - that looks like an m20 to me.

Cheers, Nick

I have not weighed my S14 yet. It is fully dressed but already has the tranny attached and I realllllly dont feel like taking it off just to measure. I will weigh the whole assembly before putting it in the car though. I'm pissed I didnt weigh my '02 tranny before I sold it.

Yes the diff is heavier but it is at the lowest point of the chassis and in line with the rear wheels, somewhere I dont really mind having a bit more weight, especially with more power. Plus I think its necessary when going over 200rwhp, look how many diffs Curtis(i think) has gone through.

I was baffled when I saw that Paul's car weighed 1200kg. I dont know how to explain the additional weight but its not from the motor itself.

Oh I am definitely all for less weight. That was the main reason why I choose the 2002 chassis for my racecar. Also why Im going with a stroked alum 2.8. I could do a destroked euro motor from which people are getting around 320rwhp. But the euro motor weighs more than the iron 24v, so we're probably talking at least 100lbs more than the alum 24v.

1990 325i

1976 2002

S52 Possible - yes:

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/Racing/RacingFrankIntro.htm

Somewhere in their write up, there's a movie I remember watching. If you look close, you'll see the brake fluid reservoir mounted on the dash. To me, that means there's a whole lot of stuff under the hood, if there's not room for that...

Ken

Ha, every proper racecar has the brake fluid reservoir in the cockpit. It helps keep the fluid temperature down so it keeps from boiling.

1990 325i

1976 2002

the car that Terry Sayther built is a 2002 body on a E36 chassis that was shrunk to fit inside the confines of the 02 body. That doesn't really coincide with what these guys are looking at doing. The best part of Terry's car is that he gets all the benefits of the upgraded suspension, wheels, chassis of the E36 not just the motor and transmission. It is a very cool car in my opinion!