• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE! new 2002 owner need expert advice...

Durandal

SO Im now the owner of a 74 02 automatic... there are a few issues with the car and I was wondering if some of the experts could shed some light on to why the car behaves as it does... I have 3 problems and I would love to get some advice...

1. first the car seems very underpowered, yes its an automatic but the engine seems to be have to do alot more work than it should to get up to speed, since its an auto tranny I dont know what RPM its operating at, but the engine has to rev pretty high to get it into higher gears and the speeds it shifts itself seem to be 5-10 mph over the red indicator marks painted on the speedo... it has a brand new 32/36 weber installed from the previous owner and only the standard out of the box jets in it. (dont know if thats a problem)

2. Brakes, the car seems not to brake well unless you almost have the pedal to the floor and even then it doesnt stop too fast from about 40, I had the brakes checked out and all 4 are not worn to the point they need to be replaced...

3. Indicator lamps... these work as they should EXCEPT for two problems.... one when the right turn signal is used the hazard button flashes but the lights work just fine outside the car, also when just the hazard is used all lights work correctly and hazard button still flashes...

4. left turn signal does not flash when headlights/ running lights are on... it just stays steady, right signal works fine during this time and the left does too as long as the headlight pull switch is all the way in (both headlights and running lights are off)

PLEASE help me if any of you know anything about what may be causing these problems, this car is supposed to be my daily driver, and while its getting nice gas milage the car has these problems that make driving it dangerous..

1. Check and adjust the valves, time with a light, new plugs, leads points (if you have them) etc (cheap to do). That should help with smooth running. Check kickdown adjustment (search for how).

You can check the jets in the carb, match to CD's prescription (see FAQ) these jets work very well on manual and auto cars.

2. BLEED the brakes till you have fresh fluid - 'search' for correct method and its best to use a power bleeder. If you are still not kissing the windscreen when you stomp the brakes, check the booster.

3. & 4. The indicators go through the hazard switch, so that why it flashes with the lefts on - its not supposed to do that. A PO or ratnest could be the cause. Search for wiring diagram and you will find several that can help to locate erant wires.

A Haynes manual is a great help and the Factory Blue Binder is the best (soon to be a 400mb down load). And we are willing to healp, but try the search first - many people with the same problems as you.

Happy 02ing Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

As far as performance goes - I'd definitely drain and fill the transmission. I forget if these trannies have a filter (I so rarely see auto 2002s) but if it does - change that as well. Check the trans fluid level (std ATF) only when the car is FULLY up to operating temperature.

If it's like many 2002s out there - you may not even be achieving full throttle. Check to make dang SURE the throttle is opening fully. Open it with your hand on the linkage all the way - and see if a partner in the car can replicate this full range of motion using the gas pedal. Does the trans "kick down" into a lower gear when the pedal is depressed fully? All of these need to be correct to get the most performance out of the motor.

As for lights - make sure the turn signal switch illuminates the higher "21 watt" filament of the bulb with ignition on and/or engine running, and that the parking light illuminates only the lower "5 watt" filament. if the wires are mixed up (an easy mistake) that can cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen. The signal assembly up front gets it's ground via the screws that hold it to the fender and must be installed as such for it to function. Tests "off the fender" in your hand will yield little info. All signal functions travel through the hazard switch, and if it gets flukey...the signals gety wacky.

This is at least a start - hope it helps!

Paul Wegweiser (in love with 2002s since 1972...driving them since 1986, but will never really be an "expert")

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

1. first the car seems very underpowered, yes its an automatic but the engine seems to be have to do alot more work than it should to get up to speed, since its an auto tranny I dont know what RPM its operating at, but the engine has to rev pretty high to get it into higher gears and the speeds it shifts itself seem to be 5-10 mph over the red indicator marks painted on the speedo... it has a brand new 32/36 weber installed from the previous owner and only the standard out of the box jets in it. (dont know if thats a problem)

= CHANGE AUTO TRANS OIL AND CLEAN FILTER, ADJUST THRANS CONTROL CABLE, ADJUST THROTTLE LINKAGE FOR FULL-THROTTLE OPENING, ADJUST DWELL & TIMING

2. Brakes, the car seems not to brake well unless you almost have the pedal to the floor and even then it doesnt stop too fast from about 40, I had the brakes checked out and all 4 are not worn to the point they need to be replaced...

= FLUSH BRAKE & CLUTCH FLUID, AND CORRECT REAR BRAKE SHOES ADJUSTMENT - later : REPLACE 4-BRAKE FLUID HOSES TO THE FOR CORNERS, REPLACE FRONT PADS/ROTORSw/WHEEL BEARINGS, REPLACE REAR SHOES & DRUMS.

3. Indicator lamps... these work as they should EXCEPT for two problems.... one when the right turn signal is used the hazard button flashes but the lights work just fine outside the car, also when just the hazard is used all lights work correctly and hazard button still flashes...

= REPLACE THE 4-FLASHER FOR STARTER

4. left turn signal does not flash when headlights/ running lights are on... it just stays steady, right signal works fine during this time and the left does too as long as the headlight pull switch is all the way in (both headlights and running lights are off)

= SOMEONE HAS FUCHED-UP YER WIRING, CONNECTIONS, GROUND CONNECTIONS - YOU GOTTA DIG DEEP BY YERSELFE ON THIS ONE BEFORE WE GUESS BLINDLY - MAY NOT NEED 4-WAY FLASHER

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

i would check for sticky brakes first, which would release the hp potential, then the timing and carb tuning which will release some more.

remove the brick behind the gas pedal as well.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

#4 , could be wiring issues as mentioned above, could also be as simple as a flakey bulb, one filament wire touching another, check the bulbs first, replace with 2 new ones is cheapest part to try first if you start tossing $$ at it, after checking wiring.

2002 owner since 1980