• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front seatbelts on the ground

O2guy

Have the original seatbelts (Autoflug) but I can't get them to extend for cleaning. Both were in a box when I bought the car (73 '02) and since they're original I'd like to continue the tradition. Would reinstalling them make a difference or can the retractor/extender mechanism be rebuilt?

Thanks guys/gals

Jim

Jim

'73 Malaga #2590259 - almost done!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

tiny pendulum that's free to swing in a 360 degree arc. If it's in anything other than a vertical position, it locks up the belt reel, which of course is what it's supposed to do.

Unless you hold the reel assembly upright (as it would be mounted in the car) the pendulum will lock the reel mechanism.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The reel needs to be perfectly vertical in the car.

You can try rebuilding them, but that usually fails. BTDT. If they're really the originals, they're 35 years old, you owe yourself, especially your face, a new pair. Seat belts don't stay strong forever.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators