• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clicking from passenger rear wheel area

johnny

The 73 started clicking on acceleration and deceleration yesterday. The sound is coming from the passenger rear wheel area. Thinking axel, sub axel, wheel bearings, brakes maybe? Any thoughts on where to start looking appreciated. Thanks!

state light-load cruising or no-load coasting, a CV joint is the more likely culprit (ever heard a front driver going click-click-click when turning and accerating at the same time?) - similar noise.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Guest Anonymous

BarryA is right (Barry usually is!) This may sound silly, but in addition to the nail/pebble in the tire, or some weird brake issue (I have had a cracked brake drum that made a click noise) take a visual on the CV joints. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them has a cracked/leaking boot indicating a potential problem. Naturally, just as BarryA said, the boot doesn't have to be cracked or broken for the CV joint to be worn out.

Yet another way to check for a suspect CV joint is to jack up the car so the wheel with the suspect joint is off the ground. Then lower the car and drive off. If the noise is gone, there is a good chance the CV is bad.

Jacking it up apparently shifts the innards of the CV around enough to spread some grease around, at least for a while.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Do you have stick on wheel balancing weights on the inside rim? If so, check those first. I went through the pain of finding (that was the hardest part) and replacing CVs and the noise was still there. Turned out it was not-so-sticky weights flopping around on the rim and hitting the caliper.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Ok thanks, CV sounds about right, it's really more of a thump than a click. Sounds just like when I blew a CV on a front wheel drive. How difficult is it to replace the CV? Looks like a dirty job for sure. Any one got a ballpark shop estimate? I'd like to do it myself, but without a garage right now it wouldn't be fun!

Thanks again!