• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updates with EU bumpers - Completion of 02 74' resto/custom

Bought the car from St. Louis in 2006 with the intention of doing nothing but drive. Although, I knew better to say that, so a year later the 02 transformed into nearly full restoration as well as some custom work. We started by removing just about everything, interior, exterior including bumpers then had the paint shop removed the side moldings, filled holes, fixed rust spots and repainted the same color as the original owner has had it, which was BMW Estoril Blue. Parts were starting to come in from Maximillian, Ireland Engineering, Bavarian Motors, Autohaus, 02AD and others. We started with the headliner {a pain}, dynamating the floorboard, doors and rear quarter panels. Juke underlayer, then carpeted, weather seal, window seals and moldings then moving on to side door panels. Seats were dyed to beige color to match the door panels which were totally redone-redesigned using MDF. Center console was completely redone with an added an engine start button, Alpine CD and iPod docking along with an analog clock. Instrument cluster remain intact with overlayed bezel. Steering wheel and shift knob were replaced with Momo products…..

I just picked up the 02 this afternoon with EU bumpers conversion and was at the BMW meet tonight, and took some pictures.

Please use link below to see pictures

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/thequietracer/

The list:

Suspension: Complete Ireland Engineering including: F/R sway bars, bushings, springs, shocks etc.

Engine: Port and polish head, block, Shrick cam, Weber 45DCO side draft carbs.

Exhaust: Stahl header, Ansa exhaust

Transmission: 320i five speed Getrag conversion with short shifter

Converting rear drum to disc

Front and rear bumpers were shorten

Front and rear strut brace from TEP

Minilite 15" wheels from IE and Dunlop tires

Many more. {Too much to list}

Total spent over $22k not including the car.

Engine, transmission, five speed conversion, and rear brakes were done by Jim Shoemaker of German Motorwerks in Winter Springs Florida, who knows BMW inside and out, bar none-The Best). A talented friend and I completed the rest.

Please use link below to see pictures

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/thequietracer/

74' 02 Resto-Mod

87' 325IS

03' Cooper S

Nice job! I like the door panels and console--obviously a lot of work there. The interior says more '80s/'90s-style street-rod to me than '70s import, but it's definitely clean and very unique--and I think it works at least as well in an '02 as in a '46 Ford. What did you use for the console and door panels?

I admire your spotless engine bay, too. Lots of attention to detail is evident.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Couldn't agree more with the interior being modern, and exactly the way I wanted from the beginning. Certainly, more soothing and pleasant to the eye now then it once was.

We used MDF very much throughout the custom work. Noticed the center console..was done using bondoe wrapped matching leather where the start button is.

74' 02 Resto-Mod

87' 325IS

03' Cooper S

Jim at German Motor Werks has my car too. The engine is in (prevoiusly posted) and I should be driving it in a week or so as he needs to put in the fuel pump and do some other stuff to finish up. I wish my interior was that nice!!! Next step is paint then maybe a 5 speed in a year or two.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

• 1 year later...