• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 2002 M20 Conversion

cjreents

Nice project......I've got a 75 torn down to the shell that I'm building up for track. I was originally planning on doing an m20 conversion and that's the main reason I looked for a automatic, and found the non-sunroof auto, that I'm using. I've decided for now to build an M10 though, I've always wanted sidedrafts on an m10 :)

Anyway, good luck with the conversion, I'll be watching closely to see if I want to take that route in the future.

Lance

Tha Couve, Wa.

Thanks for the comments, you should also check out Mike's M20 conversion. He's located in the Vancouver as well.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,292271/highlight,m20/

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've posted... accomplished a few things and still gathering parts.

Here's a pic regarding the different water pumps - really enjoyed replacing it twice:

waterpump_differences%20(Small).jpg

Along with the water pump, I replaced the timing belt and tensioner:

waterpump%20(Small).jpg

Had to remove the a/c unit:

acremoval%20(Small).jpg

acremoval2%20(Small).jpg

Cleaned and painted the engine... not sure what the color of the car is as the previous owner did not know. Was hoping that is was Agave (071) as that appeared to be the darkest green of the '02 colors - was still too light.

enginebay_paint%20(Small).jpg

enginebay_paint2%20(Small).jpg

enginebay_paint3%20(Small).jpg

enginebay_paint4%20(Small).jpg

enginebay_paint6%20(Small).jpg

Also began cutting out the nose of the car. I'll be using a radiator from a 82 323i for which upper and lower rad hoses should fit without any splicing.

nosecut%20(Small).jpg

nosecut2%20(Small).jpg

nosecut3%20(Small).jpg

Removed the driveshaft (thanks to my dad for his help with this and the center link - that was a total P.I.T.A):

driveshaft%20(Small).jpg

Mounted the 323i trans to the M20 and dropped it into the engine bay. Still a couple inches away from being mounted. Will try again tomorrow...

m20_transmounted%20(Small).jpg

Thanks Tristan...

Just came in from spending another couple hours in the garage trying to get the engine mounted. I'm seriously only an inch or so away from fully mounted (no pun intended) - my sway bar is now in the way. Looks like I'll have to figure out what to do with it - maybe drop it a bit with some spacers (hopefully that'll work).

swaybar1%20(Small).jpg

swaybar2%20(Small).jpg

Hey Chris.

Great project Chris! I am in the middle of a similar project -- though I am going for s14 power and a m3 CR gearbox. I'd love to come take a look at your car sometime, especially to see your radiator support modifications...I am planning something similar.

I'm in Portland, not far from PIR raceway, actually...

Drop me a note sometime, if you'd like.

Cheers,

Dominic

dmaraglia at gmail

http://www.madracing.net/media/sp_index.php?dir=./bmw02

Dominic -

You're more than welcome to come by and take a look. As you can tell, I'm having some problems with the right side motor mount that I purchased. The angle is way off and it looks like I'll have to find someone to re-weld it or use Matt's technique described above. Once I get that worked out, then I'll be able to test fit the 323i radiator.

Give me a couple weeks to get the car a bit further along then you can come down for a visit to West Linn. I also just posted in regards to your s14 vs m20 post, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since I've had a chance to update. Think I finally figured out the motor mount issue. Had to have the passenger side rewelded by a shop, but it's still 1/4" off or so... will have to drill new holes in subframe and make an adapter plate - thanks to canadaMatt for the pics!

In the meantime, I borrowed a buddies welder and tried my hand at that for the first time today. Somewhat sloppy but it should do the job for my transmission mount. (Still have to drill holes in the tunnel to mount permanently).

transmount1.JPG

transmount2.JPG

I also shortened the shifter platform...

shiftermount.JPG

shiftermount2.JPG

shiftermount3.JPG

And the shift linkage... getting really short! Hope it works...

shiftlinkage.JPG

shiftlinkage2.JPG

Also ran the new steel fuel line, but am waiting for my filter and to remove the engine again before finishing it off.

• 4 months later...

You'll notice that back in June I shortened the shift linkage and platform to fit in the stock hole in the trans tunnel. However, after test fitting the engine and trans multiple times, it would not fit. Cutting a new hole in the trans was not my worry, my worry was that moving the hole back a couple inches meant that the ebrake would hit the shifter surround. The surround contains the controls for the electric windows which I didn't want to rewire and reconfigure. After weeks of contemplation, I decided to cut the new hole which meant shortening the emergency brake...

ebrake%20(1b)%20(Small).JPG

ebrake%20(7)%20(Small).JPG

ebrake%20(5)%20(Small).JPG

ebrake%20(3)%20(Small).JPG

ebrake%20(8)%20(Small).JPG

Here's the new hole in the tunnel & the shift linkage and platform that I shortened again:

shifter%20(6)%20(Small).JPG

shifter%20(9)%20(Small).JPG

shifter%20(3)%20(Small).JPG

shifter%20(5)%20(Small).JPG

shifter%20(1)%20(Small).JPG

shifter%20(Small).jpg

That was my challenge... the end of the selector rod fit perfectly under the old hole in the tunnel. However, the selector rod is (from what I've been told) hardened steel and is difficult to weld. I posted this awhile back http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,311896/highlight,/

In the end, I thought it was best to leave the linkage in place given the side to side motion that is needed when shifting. I figured you need the "play" in the linkage to make gear shifting smooth and not forced. Mind you, I'm not a mechanic and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Got any pics of your conversion?

• 4 months later...

It's running! After several nights and weeks of trying to sort out some of the wiring (no power to ecu or fuel pump), I headed out to the local junk yard. Found a 90 325i and purchased all the relays. Took 'em home, popped 'em in, and viola!

IMG_4080%20(Small).JPG

Oil cooler, electric fan

IMG_4081%20(Small).JPG

Rad and oil cooler mounts

IMG_4082%20(Small).JPG

Power distribution block

IMG_4084%20(Small).JPG

IMG_4085%20(Small).JPG

IMG_4086%20(Small).JPG

Not as close as it looks...

IMG_4087%20(Small).JPG

Fuel filter

IMG_4107%20(Small).JPG

Fuel tank

IMG_4108%20(Small).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having to rebuild the center console since I no longer have A/C and since I also had to move the shifter back a couple inches. So, my plan is to mount the ECU in back of the center console and keep the glove box usable.

Should be able to put some more pics up later this weekend.

Go Blazers!