• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serious valve cover oil leak

Happy Face

I've searched the archives for this problem and know that it could be due to a number of causes.

I've got a newly rebuilt engine with a fresh valve cover and new valve cover gasket. It was installed with the proper torque procedure and with no goop (installed dry).

I have mucho fresh oil leaking out of the gasket. Its even splashing out and getting on the sheet metal and spark plug wires.

Here's a quick web page with some photos showing the ugliness.

http://gallery.mac.com/dpmeaux#100156&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

requesting advice on how to deal with this. I do have an extra valve cover which hopefully isn't warped.

thanks

web.jpg

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

Mine only did this if I did not use some, very small amount, of sealer under the valve cover gasket where th front timing cover meets the head. I put a small amount on that seam and put the gasket on and no leaks. I usually do this in the evening and let dry overnight.

crap, you can see the misalignment between head and cover in the pix!

I think you need to mill the cover... and by cover, I mean the timing chain

front cover. It's holding the valve cover up.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

thanks everyone for the comments.

At this point I've come to the conclusion that its a case of the timing cover and heads not being milled simultaneously.

So my next question is, what can I do about it. Is it safe to have them milled with the engine in the car? Or am I looking at pulling the engine, etc., to get a final fix.

thanks again

dave

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

local shop here wants the head with the cover just for milling the cover.... easier to bolt it and then shave, i guess, rather than trying to shave the cover w/ just a measurement

something i've still got to do, but funny thing is it stopped leaking after a while even w/ the uneven cover/head

i would just recommend using silicone all around and let sit for a while before driving

i put silicone up in almost everything now.... tired of dealing w/ leaks

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"

Dave,

That's hard to believe. If that was the case, it would have leaked oil all the way from California back to Houston, or so I think.

But - if you believe that's the case:

Drain all of the fluids out of the block and remove the head. Take the head and the front cover to a machine shop and have them machined to the same thickness. Then you will be sure.

I've dealt with one machine shop here in Houston -

Bavarian Machine - Mike Perkins is excellent. His work is perfect. His reception staff are not. They are rude and awful. I hate talking to them. It will take forever and a day to get your parts back, but they will be perfect when you get them. And - he is expensive. You will pay for perfection. And be treated very poorly by his reception staff. At least I was. I spend over $1000 having machine work done on a cylinder head at his shop. Mike treated me great. His staff treated me like shit. I still need machine work done on a block, and while I would love for Mike to do it, I dread dealing with his reception staff....

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.