• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

baby oil on leather?

Jared

I was going to use a little baby oil to recondition the 6 series rear seats I am putting in. I have heard from some that this is a good way to condition and soften the leather. Any downside? Any other reccomendations?

Thanks

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

Guest Anonymous
I was going to use a little baby oil to recondition the 6 series rear seats I am putting in. I have heard from some that this is a good way to condition and soften the leather. Any downside? Any other reccomendations?Thanks

Baby oil, is largely mineral oil. All things considered, unless you are suffering from chronic diaper rash, I would go with straight mineral oil rather than have my interior smell like a nursery. Then again, maybe Jonny has a scent he prefers!

The fact that you asked this question leads me to conclude you have not given this much thought. Go to an auto supply store and you will find a seemingly limitless array of products designed for the purpose you have in mind. Lexol immediately comes to mind as do several products offered by most BMW/MERCEDES catalog vendors.

Much has to do with the condition of the leather. Once cracked or deteriorated, it is virtually impossible to reconstitute leder. Of course, there is always seafoam, which some claim performs miracles! lol

Guest Anonymous

I have had great success with Leather Rejuvenator and Pristine Clean from www.Leatherique.com. The Rejuvenator rehab'd my E-34 leather seats to like-new. Of course, then sitting in them with a screw driver sticking out of my back pocket didn't help at all. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Thanks for all the good info- I have not done much with leather before, so I was kind of clueless as to what to do.

The seats are in pretty good condition, no tears, but are just kind of hard and I want to prevent any cracking or tearing in the future.

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

Guest Anonymous

Not to rain on your parade, but leather does not last forever. Aside from keeping it from dehydrating and avoiding sharp objects, the best advice would probably be to avoid direct sunlight.

I am not so sure I would permit Jonny near your back seats without searching him for any wayward screwdrivers! From what I can tell, Jonny may not have a back pocket, but he is a resourceful master mechanic and who really knows where or how he carries his tools!

LOL

Hi,

My vote goes to Leatherique. I used it on the seats of my E30 M3 and they went from hard to soft as a glove. I let it soak in over a period of weeks as I try not to drive it in the winter.

Good luck,

Max

Maximillian

www.bimmer.com

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

Guest Anonymous
I use chainsaw bar and chain oil. It has anti-sling properties so it won't stick to you.As for mineral oil...I drink that to help in extracting my tools from my REAR "pocket

I thought you used mineral oil as a rust preventative for on-the-shelf parts. Now, I know some of those parts are not actually stored on the shelf. How do you avoid getting your parts soiled or is that a trade secret? Does Mrs. Jonny know about this?

I have heard of the expression "filthy lucre." Now, I am not sure what it really means. Per state regulations, I have to wash my hands! lol lol

I know this is about leather, but how about Vinyl.. I used some vinyl cleaner/softner, but is there a good product that conditions the vinyl so it last longer?

Thanks

Ron

Ron,

I have used Lexol's Vinylex Protectant and have been very happy with the product. Can usually be found next to the Lexol leather conditioner and cleaners. Comes on a blue bottle.

Earl

74 02Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

02 M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell