• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Garage Build

jakeb

My new garage was started today. The dimensions are 24' x 36' x 10' (high)

It will have a single 16 x 8' door and a thicker area of the slab in the back to allow for a lift down the road.

The excavator was here today and tore into the ground. The builder should be here tomorrow to set the poles. I am really hoping they have the most of it up the end of the week.

I was off today (presidents day) so I was able to take pictures as they worked. It is going to be hard making it through each day to see the progress. Check this thread for daily updates.

jake

on to the pictures

02-18-08%20-%2001.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2002.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2003.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2004.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2005.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2006.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2007.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2008.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2009.jpg

02-18-08%20-%2010.jpg

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

Jake,

Since you plan on using a lift down the road, you should go at least 10'6" or 11' in height. This will enable you to store a car underneath the lift with a few inches (literally) to spare.

I'm in the process of finishing up my garage now with 10'5" height, due to zoning (and respect for neighborhood and neighbors, I couldnt go higher). If you plan on putting epoxy on the floor, you will have to wait a few months for it to cure first. Check out some of the garage forums and the "I wish I had threads."

Good luck with your build.

1976 BMW 2002: Chamonix (Anakin ... as in Vader)

1973 BMW 3.0 cs: Malaga and Polaris (OWAM & TBD)

1963 Buick Riviera (Vernal)

1935 Alaskan Malamutes (year of AKC recognition)

I wish I could go higher, but the highest our city allows is 10' I am actually at the max I can go in every dimension. So we will see if and how a lift will work. It will be one with a floor plate for sure. Or the posts will go up into the attic a little bit.

I havn't decided if I am going to epoxy it yet or not. Not sure if I am going to be able to wait to start putting stuff in it. We will see.

I am been reading at garagejournal.com pretty amazeing stuff

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

Two words --> scissor trusses

P8080176S.JPG

The parking section of our garage is 24' deep with scissor trusses and I think the ceiling height ended up around 13' at the peak with 9' walls. When I eventually get around to installing a lift, I should be able to tuck the roof of the car up into the center section of the ceiling and have plenty of room underneath. Good luck with your garage build!

Karl

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Nice looking garage you have. My garage door is on the gable side. So the lift and working area will be in the back of the garage. If I would have went the other way then we would of have no yard left. So...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

If you dont mind me asking, what is this gonna cost?

I have been trying to get my wife to realize that IF I get a detatched garage she would have room to park in our 2 car garage as I would be able to move my 2002 and its parts into the detatched.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Thanks. You're right that it becomes more of a challenge when you have the door on the gable end. Another option would be to use scissor trusses (at least in the back section) and put your lift in the middle of the garage in the back. Since you've been over at garagejournal.com, I would guess that you've already considered most of the options and I don't mean to beat this to death. That forum was a lot of help for me, too. If all else fails, remember that just because other people call it an x-bay garage doesn't mean that's how many cars it will hold!

Here's my pre-lift solution (at least during the winter months):

IMG_2018S.JPG

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Yes this should be called a "3" car garage but I am calling it a 4+...being that I own small cars. I probably could fit 6 02s....

I was weighing if I should build myself or have it done. After calculating everything and talking to builders it was only another 3k to have it done. Also they are able to do it now and I would have to wait until the summer.

It is just over $14,000 for everything. It is a post frame which brings the cost down a little over a full foundation.

Nothing really got done today. A large part of the materials were delivered today. There is a BIG stack of OSB, some posts, and the trusses sitting out back. I am hoping to see some progress tomorrow. It is supposed to warm up a little in the next week too so..... So no new pictures...maybe tomorrow

jake

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

A quick update. We had a nice warm spell here in Michigan. So some of the snow is gone and we even got to see the sun for a few days. The got a lot of work done today and said they will have it done tomorrow. Should have the slab poured before the weekend maybe.

here are some pictures.

02-25-08-1.jpg

02-25-08-2.jpg

02-25-08-3.jpg

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that is awesome! If I had that much space for 02's, I would end up paying alimony!

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

A lot has happened on the build. Everything is done except the slab. Right now the garage is being heated through the weekend and they are supposed to pour the cement on Monday. About a week to let it cure and I should be able to start moving things in.

here are some pictures. I will post some inside ones once the slab is poured

3-8-08-1.jpg

3-8-08-2.jpg

3-8-08-3.jpg

3-8-08-4.jpg

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

That is sweet...I have always wanted a SHOUSE...SHOP+House= SHOUSE!!!!

That is great. Can you take some pics of the inside of the garage???

I am still waiting on getting the concrete poured. It was supposed to be done early this week but there is still frost in the ground I guess.

The builder is supposed to keep a heater going in the garage..... It has been on and off. So I am not all that happy about that. It is getting warmer outside tho so it should be done soon.

i will see about snapping some tomorrow and then a bunch after the concrete is poured.

jake

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

Here are a couple of pictures of the inside. As you can see I am still waiting on concrete. I am hoping to see it when I get home tomorrow or tuesday....

It is hard to judge size right now. But it is pretty big....and will fit 3-4 cars...

jake

3-16-08-1.jpg

3-16-08-2.jpg

3-16-08-3.JPG

3-16-08-4.JPG

3-16-08-5.JPG

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net