• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She suddenly will not idle for love or money.

weejimmy

she was out on a run and started popping back in the exhaust on down hill sections and then would not idle. She just dies unless the revs are up around 1500-2000, and then she runs very rough. Occasionally she spits back through the carb when she dies.

She has a fairly new Weber 38/38 and a 292 cam. I have cleaned out the carb and jets, not that there was anything apprently blocked. The carb was slightly loose when I checked it, but tightening it down didn't improve anything.

I have tried two sets of plugs with no difference.

The compression is 150 even accross all cylinders. - When I test it, hot with the throttle open, with a screw in tester, I get a little pulse on the first stroke, then up to 100psi then up to 150. The same on all cylinders.

She has a good spark, and a mechanical advance distributor with a relatively new cap and rotor and pertronix ignition. Timing looks OK.

What am I missing?

72 2002 demanding lots of TLC

i sorta had a similar issue-a few pop and backfiring and my car would not idle at all. i found that my vacuum plugs on my intake manifold had 'blown' off. chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

Sounds like vacuum leak or a cloged idle jet.

My guess is cloged idle jet. A red neck trick would be to remove the air filter, rev the motor to the moon and then seal off the carb with your hand. As the idle falls close to idle, remove your hand (if you can) and see if there is any difference. It could suck what ever is blocking the idle jet through.

Clean the carb.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Also, check your choke. If the linkage comes apart,

odd things happen.

But I'm thinking 'transition' jets, too. Or a sinking (sunk) float....

Pull the lid.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL