• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I give up. I need a new car.

Poon

Alright, I've finally had it. I cannot repair this car. There is so much rust I keep finding it's unbelievable. It's a shame because I didn't even get to drive the car. Here are the ugly pictures.

The car really didnt look that bad when I bought it a year ago.

AndrewsCamera1030.jpg?t=1200629784

AndrewsCamera1032.jpg?t=1200629828

AndrewsCamera1033.jpg?t=1200629842

But it was bad.

Driver side rocker.

AndrewsCamera1009.jpg?t=1200629868

Driver side rear.

AndrewsCamera1011.jpg?t=1200629892

AndrewsCamera1012.jpg?t=1200629929

Inside floor pan, drivers side left corner.

AndrewsCamera1015.jpg?t=1200629947

Passenger side floor.

AndrewsCamera1017.jpg?t=1200629992

Passenger side framerail.

AndrewsCamera1026.jpg?t=1200630012

Passenger side rocker panel.

AndrewsCamera1027.jpg?t=1200630032

As you guys can tell, its about as bad as it gets. Anyone in the Vancouver/Surrey area have an '02 for sale? I'm looking for something rust free. I don't think I can deal with anymore rust. Hoping to get a roundie, but I don't mind square tail lights. Looking for a daily driver. Anyways thanks for reading guys. I just needed to show someone the bad news.

Thanks - Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

Andrew,

This one has been on Craig's list for a bit, perhaps you could negotiate a lower price...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/526751028.html

Then there is this nice Tii, except if it's the one I looked at last year the headliner is painted black...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/539900224.html

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

Well, that car needs about 5000 budget dollars worth of body work. + That thing also needs the towers patched up.

Part it out. I ve previously mentioned, the thing has $500 carbs, $250 header, $250 eibach springs +bilsteins, a momo, good trans and what appears to be good motor. All you need is a car with good body/shot running gear and you are all set.

If you would like to part that thing, we will be very glad to come and grab some goodies.

You have to import a car from the states in order to get a solid vehicle. I did that and got a semi-solid car even though it's a cali car. Thats the way it's with these cars, they are almost never rust free, as I had a few rust spots developing after a year in my possession.

Forget the Canadian 02s, they are all rust buckets unless repaired.

Also that green car on craigslist has been for sale from last year.Someone might have bought it because it was $4500 at first. It's overpriced for a 76 , while that blue car is nothing special and again overpriced. During the last year I have not happened to find a nice solid 02 here in BC under $10k.

68' 2002 DD

Just a tip, but if you can only get a square tail light version: use the rear panel of the car you got now and weld that in the new one. And while you're at it, give it the kidney transplant. Hey, and maybe even use the VIN! But that would be illegal of course... ;)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

....that is a shame - but could come right if

you don't give up. Roll the sad patient over like this and

it will be possible and less daunting. Read and LOOK

at all the resources like Bill William's, Matt McGinn's,

KEITH'S " my2002tii " restoration techniques. Those

3 people have all the photos and can answer all your

questions- to have the bottom side look as good as

the top side. You also learned a lot already and now

know what to watch out for on the next one.

http://www.my2002tii.com/

http://www.sports-car-restoration.com/

BODY2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I replaced: bilateral fenders, rockers, frame rails, lower A-pillars, shock towers, rear sub-frame mounts, parts of both quarter panels, and the nose. the A-pillar and sub-frame patches had to come from Jaymic. Everything else I got from Max.

Actually, I paid to have all that done (inheritance from Grandma), although I helped a fair amount in putting it all back together. It was very expensive because I lacked the skills and facilities to do it myself. But, mine is a family car that I grew up with with lots of sentimental value. Otherwise, I never would have done it. If I had a random 02 project car today, I'd get somebody (Brad) to teach me how to weld and give it a shot

CD's suggestion is a good one if you can get or make a rotisserie and can stand to stick with it. Otherwise, find a nice donor body and start the swap.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

I think I'll start looking for a new car. I don't have the space for a rotisserie, and I want a project I can drive and work on,Hoping to spend around $4000 - $5000 and get a relatively sold driver. Thinking about it, I don't really mind a little bit of welding, as long as it's not structural( which mine definitely was). That only problem with buying a car from California is it's in California. Ugh. I'll just have to wait and see what comes up I guess.

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

1973 tii non original motor? Going back to ebay in the near future. Decent start point for a resto or Hotrod. Drop me a line at:smallfastforeign@aol.com for photos.

Best Regards, "Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

id say fix that up, because it can.

Ive fixed much more horible cars in the past and they are still on the road.

The car will never be new anyway, neither 02 are, unless it is fresh out of the factory, like that inka Tii we all know ;)

it also depends on what kind of 02 you want, a pristine new fully restored or just one that works and looks nice ?

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I have seen that sick little 02 in person when contemplated buying it. She needs complete rocker replacement. The hacking might not help this much here. These floors are easy to fix, but the rockers will kill it. The body will need reenforcement supports welded in, plus the rear 1/4 lips are showing signs of cancer-might as well do the 1/4 panels. So that figures that half of the car needs to be replaced. This will probably require a $1k mig welder or a TIG and years of effort/skills to do properly, so might as well restore the whole car (justifiable option). Also the cost of a paint job has been ignored all along.

68' 2002 DD