• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Victory - IE exhaust Header and Swaybars are installed

Kidasters

Victory at last! I finally finished installing the swaybars and the header.

When we last left off, I was still trying to get the A/C bracket around the stud on # 1. Well - after many attempts, that seemed futile. So (sorry c.d. - I couldn't yank the whole system), I removed the compressor from the bracket and pulled the entire bracket. Took it over to the auto shop down the block, and they lopped off the offending ear - for free (did I mention they are fantastic?). They just wanted to see the finished product - important later.

So - got the bracket installed. Got both swaybars installed. The only rough spot was when I had to use the c-clamps to hold one end of the rear bar up while I was installing it. Pretty minor. Thanks to ColinK for that tip.

The final problem. When I connected the header to the exhaust pipe. I bolted everything up, and the only way it seemed to line up correctly was to have one bolt right on top. It was a pain to make up. Then, once made up, I had a leak at the band connector that goes on the piece that connects the header to the rest of the exahust. So - undid all of the bolts (a pain) and coated the inside of it with hi-temp gasket silicon (copper colored). Made it back up, and tightened everything up. Must have gotten the ring gasket that goes between the flanges crooked a bit, because I had a slight leak there. Couldn't tighten everything anymore, so I just rubbed more of the copper silicon gasket material around it and let it sit overnight. I know that's a poor way to do it, but it'll do until I get the IE exhaust. So - victory lap time! Well - went for the VL and noticed that I had a lot of bumping. Checked it out, and the whole exhaust system has been pushed back about 1", and is rubbing badly on the rear of the body below the bumper. Very dissappointed.

Next day - went to the auto shop down the street to show them the A/C bracket and exhaust header. They saw the tailpipe problem and said "hey - go to the exhaust place around the corner and ask for Manny. He'll probably help you cheap". Went over there and talked to Manny. "Put it on the lift, let's take a look". Once they had it on the lift, before I could say anything, they had cut a 3" section out of the exhaust pipe, re-positioned everything and welded a new piece in place. Now - no bumps! The best part - when I asked Manny "How much?" - his reply - "Don't worry about it". I tipped the guy that did the work, since I really did appreciate it.

So- here are some pics of the good and the ugly (there is no bad).

Ken

post-2706-13667585999353_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667586000474_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667586001506_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667586002479_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667586003673_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ken, very nice set up, what size pipe do you have? also you may want to wrap that AC hose to protect it from the header temps.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Ken,

Congrats on a job well done, happy to help in the rear bar install.

Glad to hear that you got the header and exhaust installed, my install was pretty straight forward but I had my header to exhaust adapter made up by a local shop.

You'll love the sound and the new handling. It's almost a shane to get road grime on the stainless steel.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Ken, very nice set up, what size pipe do you have? also you may want to wrap that AC hose to protect it from the header temps.

It's a 2 inch system. I'm actually thinking about having the hose re-made so that I can re-route it further away from the header. It is further away than it looks in the picture though.

Looks great.What is the story behind the adjustable castor (strut) rods ???

Mal.

Thanks! I don't know the story behind the strut rods - they were there when I bought it.

did you upgrade from the stock swaybars or did you already have bigger bars? I have standard 22/19 bars on my car but would like something a little flatter in the corners and was just curious.

TK

I upgraded from the stock bars. This is probably the best upgrade I have done to date for performance. Body roll in corners has become almost non-existant. I swear that the car is as flat as the 2004 E46 when I corner now. I'm pretty sure the car has Bilstein HD's on the corners, and right now I wouldn't change a thing.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.