• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii alternator upgrade choices?

Troy

I am about to pull my alternator because I think its about to bite the dust and was wondering if there are any other higher amp alternatives? Tried the search but no luck. There has to be something thats almost a bolt in upgrade for a Tii or do I just get the old one refurbed?. TIA

there is a place call auto-electric, often on e-bay, that will jack up a stock tii alternator to 65 amps.

Need to search e-bay, the internet or a satisfied customer may chime in

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I dont have a Tii, so Im not sure if these will work, but I was looking at these on Ebay. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-80-Amp-Alternator-2002-1600-1800-2000-1966-1976_W0QQitemZ360011759491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360011759491

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

As Jay mentioned in the A**fly post you linked, the Bosch AL41X 65 amp alternator fits with a very minor modification. That modification is a spacer (which you can buy from me for $9.50 shipped) or a stack of flat washers. The AL41X is otherwise mechanically identical.

IMPORTANT: If you buy an AL41X alternator, get it with the pulley. The pulley from your stock 2002 or tii alternator might not fit the new alternator.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Also, for a small, durable, more modern approach,

a Subaru Justy alt fits with a bit of a spacer.

It's a really nice, small, durable Nippondenso unit-

they hold up well on race cars, so everyone from

us to Nascar uses them...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL