• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Posting Protocol

Just an observation: I've been a member of this forum for several months and have learned a tremendous amount of information by reading these posts on a daily basis. I browse the forum search as well, just to pick people's brains on everything imaginable. But I have noticed from time to time a certain "hostility" toward newbies who ask questions that the veteran members have seen addressed numerous times already. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help foster knowledge, skills and respect for the enthusiasts as well as the mark. I can say from my own experience that searching the forum doesn't always provide the very latest information on any given topic - case in point, the brass wool vs. steel wool advocates. I was even going to post a question about wheel size for my '73, even though there are dozens of threads in the archives. But I haven't asked (formally) because I'm reluctant to be chided for wasting some members' valuable time. It just seems to me that a little more tolerance and understanding will go a long ways toward keeping this forum strong and vital to our common interests. If you see an old topic reposted by a new member (or even a veteran) how much of an inconvenience is it to simply avoid opening it rather than responding with sarcasm or condescension? If I have ruffled any feathers with this post I apologize in advance, but would sure hate to scare new members or visitors away...

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an observation: I've been a member of this forum for several months and have learned a tremendous amount of information by reading these posts on a daily basis. I browse the forum search as well, just to pick people's brains on everything imaginable. But I have noticed from time to time a certain "hostility" toward newbies who ask questions that the veteran members have seen addressed numerous times already. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help foster knowledge, skills and respect for the enthusiasts as well as the mark. I can say from my own experience that searching the forum doesn't always provide the very latest information on any given topic - case in point, the brass wool vs. steel wool advocates. I was even going to post a question about wheel size for my '73, even though there are dozens of threads in the archives. But I haven't asked (formally) because I'm reluctant to be chided for wasting some members' valuable time. It just seems to me that a little more tolerance and understanding will go a long ways toward keeping this forum strong and vital to our common interests. If you see an old topic reposted by a new member (or even a veteran) how much of an inconvenience is it to simply avoid opening it rather than responding with sarcasm or condescension? If I have ruffled any feathers with this post I apologize in advance, but would sure hate to scare new members or visitors away...

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

One of the things about text based interactions is that people are reduced to a single channel of communications --

for example I might be trying to be ironic or take the piss, but without body language and facial cues the same words might be interpreted completely different than I intended.

Likewise, if you get a negative response from someone -- yes they well may be an asshole, or maybe someone just ran over their dog and they're in a bad mood. Just like the real world.. some people are jerks and some people just lost a dog! Don't take it personally.

As for searching, the answers are in this forum, but given that we are nearing

500,000 posts actually finding the answer is somewhat difficult. We've done our best to make the search function better, but it isn't easy !!!

So I guess, it is better to suffer some crap and at the same time get advice than to sit silent never knowing ...

Ask away -- !!!

and just ignore anything you don't want to read

Now if we had a few dedicated 2002 experts who could go through all the posts and categorize them, and rate them in relation to various subjects the information in here would *really* be useful...

but until that day you have to rely on keyword searches and annoying comments in reply to your messages.

so it goes -- just ask it !!!

-z

One of the things about text based interactions is that people are reduced to a single channel of communications --

for example I might be trying to be ironic or take the piss, but without body language and facial cues the same words might be interpreted completely different than I intended.

Likewise, if you get a negative response from someone -- yes they well may be an asshole, or maybe someone just ran over their dog and they're in a bad mood. Just like the real world.. some people are jerks and some people just lost a dog! Don't take it personally.

As for searching, the answers are in this forum, but given that we are nearing

500,000 posts actually finding the answer is somewhat difficult. We've done our best to make the search function better, but it isn't easy !!!

So I guess, it is better to suffer some crap and at the same time get advice than to sit silent never knowing ...

Ask away -- !!!

and just ignore anything you don't want to read

Now if we had a few dedicated 2002 experts who could go through all the posts and categorize them, and rate them in relation to various subjects the information in here would *really* be useful...

but until that day you have to rely on keyword searches and annoying comments in reply to your messages.

so it goes -- just ask it !!!

-z

I have noticed from time to time a certain "hostility" toward newbies who ask questions that the veteran members have seen addressed numerous times already. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help foster knowledge, skills and respect for the enthusiasts as well as the mark.

you're correct...there is a holier than though attitude by some here...ignore it, and don't be afraid to ask questions

it's "their" problem...not yours

I have noticed from time to time a certain "hostility" toward newbies who ask questions that the veteran members have seen addressed numerous times already. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help foster knowledge, skills and respect for the enthusiasts as well as the mark.

you're correct...there is a holier than though attitude by some here...ignore it, and don't be afraid to ask questions

exactly

and some people can say what I was trying to say in a single line what I was trying to say in a rambling monolog :)

exactly

and some people can say what I was trying to say in a single line what I was trying to say in a rambling monolog :)

How about if you just mention in your post that you did use the search function, and came up with such and such, but didn't find this particular detail?

Seems easy enough to fend off the negativity.

Otherwise, I often remain silent when people repeat many of the same questions that have been covered many times in the past. Or, I might make a much briefer comment than one I made in the past. However, then someone else may jump in.... with another comment that makes them similarly puzzled... and then another one... while nobody did a search and found the answer right there.

Or, the thread may just drift straight to the bottom with nobody answering it, since nobody wants to repeat themself. It takes a lot of time to answer all of them, and we're not all as dedicated to this forum as CD.

What often happens though, is that someone doesn't really want to take the time to repeat themself, or repeat the words of others, so they simply suggest that you use the search function and find those more detailed posts. Seems fair enough to me.

edit: They do want to help you though, so they are helping steer you in that direction of the right answer.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

How about if you just mention in your post that you did use the search function, and came up with such and such, but didn't find this particular detail?

Seems easy enough to fend off the negativity.

Otherwise, I often remain silent when people repeat many of the same questions that have been covered many times in the past. Or, I might make a much briefer comment than one I made in the past. However, then someone else may jump in.... with another comment that makes them similarly puzzled... and then another one... while nobody did a search and found the answer right there.

Or, the thread may just drift straight to the bottom with nobody answering it, since nobody wants to repeat themself. It takes a lot of time to answer all of them, and we're not all as dedicated to this forum as CD.

What often happens though, is that someone doesn't really want to take the time to repeat themself, or repeat the words of others, so they simply suggest that you use the search function and find those more detailed posts. Seems fair enough to me.

edit: They do want to help you though, so they are helping steer you in that direction of the right answer.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

The most frustrating thing for me is when a newbie posts a simple repeat question, and when someone then uses that thread to mislead them. We can't just jump into every repeat question thread and lead them down the right path. And the few who do answer such threads may not actually know what they're talking about, and we've thoroughly argued it with them in the past. We don't want to argue it with them again, so then the person gets misled. I'd rather someone search and see my old argument.

In the end, everyone does want to help you, and we're trying to find the best way of helping you.

Bring a Welder

The most frustrating thing for me is when a newbie posts a simple repeat question, and when someone then uses that thread to mislead them. We can't just jump into every repeat question thread and lead them down the right path. And the few who do answer such threads may not actually know what they're talking about, and we've thoroughly argued it with them in the past. We don't want to argue it with them again, so then the person gets misled. I'd rather someone search and see my old argument.

In the end, everyone does want to help you, and we're trying to find the best way of helping you.

Bring a Welder

I think newbies are generally welcomed here, but when you ask a question that has been answered a dozen times before, you should expect a certain amount of apathy. Members may appropriately point you toward the search function.

However, IMO, responses that castigate newbies for even asking the question are rude and uncalled-for. Many newbies are not even aware of search functions and how to use them.

Another thing of which newbies should be made aware is that this is the 02 _FAQ_... many questions are answered in the FAQ section. Why have FAQs if people don't read them to gain information? Again, I believe some newbies don't even know what a FAQ is, so we should cut them some slack.

Maybe we should have a FAQ for newbies.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga