• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 vs 72

eaker02

Hi all,

used to own a 75 model, sold it a few years ago. Now back looking to buy and may come down to a 76 model ready to go,except for putting my own touches on itvs a 72tii disassambled, motor being rebuilt, etc.

Now, I thought I read the 76 is supposed it be gone of the therma reactor. emmisions, etc. but pictures I look at still have the liitle led piece on the dash..

both are manual, both I could get for close to the same price.

The 76 would be easier to work on, but have always wanted the tii.

going to look at them this weekend, but was wondering about any tips, advice, pros, cons, etc.

Thank

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

used to own a 75 model, sold it a few years ago. Now back looking to buy and may come down to a 76 model ready to go,except for putting my own touches on itvs a 72tii disassambled, motor being rebuilt, etc.

Now, I thought I read the 76 is supposed it be gone of the therma reactor. emmisions, etc. but pictures I look at still have the liitle led piece on the dash..

both are manual, both I could get for close to the same price.

The 76 would be easier to work on, but have always wanted the tii.

going to look at them this weekend, but was wondering about any tips, advice, pros, cons, etc.

Thank

Tii's are faster, have bigger brakes and are more collectable. I have a 76 and it does have emmisions hardware. I removed all the emissions crap then the Governator decided to smog all cars 76 and above. So now Im screwed. I hear 76 models are the most reliable because they had all the bugs worked out. If youre looking for a cheap, reliable daily driver I would choose the 76. Tii are great but parts only seem to be getting more expensive.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Tii's are faster, have bigger brakes and are more collectable. I have a 76 and it does have emmisions hardware. I removed all the emissions crap then the Governator decided to smog all cars 76 and above. So now Im screwed. I hear 76 models are the most reliable because they had all the bugs worked out. If youre looking for a cheap, reliable daily driver I would choose the 76. Tii are great but parts only seem to be getting more expensive.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Live in north Georgia and lucky don't have to pass a test. I pulled all the emmissions off of the 75 as well.

The 72 has all the parts, just have to do a lot lot of re-assembling. The good thing they are both manuals.

Just wondering how the horsepower is on the 76, since it's suppose to use the same head as the 320?

T\hanks

Live in north Georgia and lucky don't have to pass a test. I pulled all the emmissions off of the 75 as well.

The 72 has all the parts, just have to do a lot lot of re-assembling. The good thing they are both manuals.

Just wondering how the horsepower is on the 76, since it's suppose to use the same head as the 320?

T\hanks

If you live in California, then dont get the 76.

Other than that, its up to your preference. If you can't do mechanical work, don't really care about performance and collectibility, and just need a car ready to go, then get the 76. Also if you want to highly modify the car for performace, it'd be better to start with a 76. It's not as much of sin to hack it up and frankenstein it.

But if you want a real gem/collectors item, with some project work involved, then the 72tii. It's up to you really, and your personal goals and preferences.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

If you live in California, then dont get the 76.

Other than that, its up to your preference. If you can't do mechanical work, don't really care about performance and collectibility, and just need a car ready to go, then get the 76. Also if you want to highly modify the car for performace, it'd be better to start with a 76. It's not as much of sin to hack it up and frankenstein it.

But if you want a real gem/collectors item, with some project work involved, then the 72tii. It's up to you really, and your personal goals and preferences.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Use the '76 as your daily driver, and put your love into restoring the tii. The '76 will be way down on power as compared to the tii.

I use a cheap '76 as a DD. I don't worry about where I park it or if it gets scratched or stolen. I keep a nice '72 tii under a cover at home.

There are two smog versions of the U.S. '76 cars: the 49-State version and the California version. The 49-State version has less smog equipment. Details here: http://www.dagsites.com/emissions.htm

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Use the '76 as your daily driver, and put your love into restoring the tii. The '76 will be way down on power as compared to the tii.

I use a cheap '76 as a DD. I don't worry about where I park it or if it gets scratched or stolen. I keep a nice '72 tii under a cover at home.

There are two smog versions of the U.S. '76 cars: the 49-State version and the California version. The 49-State version has less smog equipment. Details here: http://www.dagsites.com/emissions.htm

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

quick question about the 72 and being a collector car..

what is anyone doing, leaving the 4-speed tranny in or doing a 5-pseed conversion?

On this 72 I'm going to go look at, the man was talking about dual manifolds and carbs. does it matter if the person goes away from the fuel injected setup if this was orginal?

On the 76, if is the lower 49 state model and some emmission were dropped, does it still have the theram reactor?

Thanks